1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Ozzie Guillen suspended five games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 9, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Re: Ozzie Guillen: "I love Fidel Castro."

Very admirable.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hey, we bitch and cry when public figures give us nothing in terms of material to work with. A shit ton of "well we needed to step it up and make plays but they were the ones who stepped it up and make plays and they got it done when they needed to get it done and we didn't. It is what it its." This motherfucker throws an M-80 at south Florida's 800-pound gorilla and everyone goes all butthurt and offended. can't have it both ways.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"I love blondes on motorcycles," said new Arkansas football coach Ozzie Guillen.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In the context of speaking one's mind, what is admirable about someone who quickly and repeatedly apologizes for it? Why should the action mean anything significant to us if it means nothing to him?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, you can.

I get where you're coming from but the substance of what he said is very much open to criticism. It is very understandable why Cuban Miamians (sp?) would not want a person who espouses that viewpoint representing their team.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"I don't want to make a statement, because I think when you make a statement it's a bunch of crap. I want people to look in my eyes, look in my face and see what's going on, tell them what the deal was," Guillen said.

"Like I said, I feel sad and (for) a couple days, I feel sick to my stomach, not because of what I did. Just because I know I hurt a lot of people. "

Sounds to me like he's not totally backing off the statements.

7. Dick Whitman

This is one area where the language barrier can get him in trouble. I mean, obviously he has an enormous mouth, but I don't think that he truly "loves" everything Fidel Castro stands for. Or anything he stands for. He basically was saying that he appreciates Machivellian leaders and their ability to stay in power when the world wants them gone. "I love ..." is just kind of an Ozzie Guillen verbal tic, and particularly so when it comes to someone that is otherwise controversial or even reprehensible. I'm trying to think of some examples, some even off the record. But it'll be something like, "Hey, I love Bernie Madoff. That guy was a smart son of a bitch." He's more or less just making the time-honored joke about the trains running on time in Nazi Germany, but it comes out wrong because of his tortured English.

He's a guy who will frequently contradict himself three times in one sentence because he misuses words.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Ben McGrath does a great job capturing Ozzie in last week's New Yorker.

Still need to see the context of the Time quote to get myself in a lather about what Guillen said, or in response to what he said it.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I actually think this sums it up pretty well.

he should still be smarter than to say it.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Even more reason why he should STFU.

11. Dick Whitman

What's ironic is that Guillen is one of the proudest, most outspoken capitalists around. A lot of his "I love ..." statements are about guys who managed to bilk the system for personal gain, often free agents and such in sports whose ethics, honestly, or loyalty have been questioned. He has no problem talking about how he can be bought and sold in an instant. He loves money and loves the pursuit of it.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I agree.
    That's what bothers me about this. I don't think he was thinking necessarily about the impact of what he was saying -- he was at home, doing an interview, and spouting off. Then when the article comes out it suddenly hits him. He may stand by what he is saying, he may not, but he just got caught with his dick in a bear trap and now he's scrambling to save his ass. Anything he says now, regardless of how he says it is going to come across as insincere. If he cries they are going to be presumed as crocodile tears.

He should be canned just for being so utterly stupid.

You can be colourful and exercise intelligence -- they are not mutually exclusive traits.

Draft saved Draft deleted