1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Update on the stolen bicycle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I can't say that I have much pity on insurance companies. This doesn't just come from the raping of my wallet that they have done over the years to me on car insurance.

A buddy of mine had his car stolen. He filed the police report and took all of the proper procedures. The insurance company took its time in working through the papers and, sure enough, the car was found.

The car was a complete wreck; dents all over, bullet holes, the rims were gone. The insurance company doesn't look at it as a loss. No. They cut the checks for the most obviously damaged areas. The problem with this is that wasn't the only damage. There was engine damage.

Sure, the car still drove, but it was an issue of wear and tear by the theives. Does the insurance cover that? How about the rancid smell that remained for damn near a month? What about the tear in the fabric? "Well, that could have been there before."

The guy ended up dipping into his own pocket to get the car cleaned up enough.

While there is definitely insurance fraud going on, which is absolutely terrible, the insurance companies have no qualms about screwing their customers either.

When I read Idaho's first post about bringing the bike to the insurance agent, the first thing I thought was how they might try and get their money back only to pay out a far smaller portion.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I thought that, too. And I would/will say: "The bike is yours. Do with it what you will."

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone whose last bike was a 1975 Schwinn Apple Krate . . .

Bicycles in this country are selling for $1,000+.

And we're complaining about $3 for a gallon of gas?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bullet holes . . . rancid smell.

I say somebody needs to remove that corpse from the trunk.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

BTE: I'm beginning to get involved in competitive bicycle racing. A $3,000 bike is quite common and many of the bikes on the locall racing scene are well over $5,000. I felt pretty frugal in a way by spending about $2,300 with the accessory upgrades I had added to the bike.

I know that sounds cheesy to talk about spending that much on a bike, but it's not hard to spend that much on quality golf clubs, balls and greens fees. Biking is just the hobby/sport I decided to invest in. It's done wonders for my health, IMO.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

$2,300 doesn't sound too bad for a bike. What kind of engine does it have? ;)

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Two 34-inseam legs.:-\

Runs on Propell and Clif Bars

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hats off for the honesty, Modaho.

If the bike was any decent shape, I'd say send it over my way. I could use a good road bike.

I like mine - a Cannondale mountain bike. Really nice piece, well-constructed and easy to maintain. But there aren't any trails here, so I've been on the road. Then again, I don't wear spandex and all that jazz ... no point in making everyone puke. :-\

OK, back on topic. Carry on.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Here's another update
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=614751

The dude in this story is the guy whose name was on the police report after he pawned my bike.

Karma, yeeahaa

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

So it looks like the guy made the big time... and probably the big house

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Utah has by far the hottest counterfeiters in the country:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted