1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Update on Terry Frei of the Denver Post and tweet about Japanese Indy 500 winner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Jun 21, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Great. What's the next word we're gonna analyze linguistically? How about "dickhead"? I mean, is a person really a dickhead? An actual dickhead? Or are you basically using the term to just designate them as a fucking idiot? Because I'm very comfortable in saying that Terry Frei is a racist dickhead.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty well understood that it's a figurative term.

SnarkShark likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

And it's pretty well understood (by everyone except you) that someone who hates nationalities is a racist.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Disagree. Strongly.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Does it have to be "racist" or even "nationalist" for him to be fired, though?

If it's an ill-advised tweet, which he admits, reflects poorly on his employer and he shit the bed when given a chance to apologize, that's enough.

For him to provide this update, where he really doesn't do anything more than say, "I've got much worse in my bag" shows he still doesn't get it - and doesn't really care that he doesn't get it.

wheels89 likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

I'm amused by your vehemence. Strongly.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He would have said nothing had a Japanese driver won any OTHER race on any OTHER day. It happened to be Memorial Day (when the Indy 500 is always run), so that's what set off a nerve in him, however stupid it was.

Likewise, the Tanaka hypothetical does not fit, either. Until the World Series gets moved back to December and he wins it on Pearl Harbor Day.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That's a fair point. But I would submit that being mad when Americans don't win sporting events on American War Days is jingoistic, at least, to use @playthrough's advised term.

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

What Frei tweeted was ill-advised, stupid and an invitation for some sort of disciplinary action, if not a firing (would almost surely have led to his departure in my shop, where the atmosphere is very much zero tolerance). And he's certainly not helping his cause by writing an advance on his hearing and making the "I've got much worse in my bag" statement.

But I'd be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on whether what he did was more or less of a fire-able offense than Bart Hubbuch's tweets that led to his dismissal from the New York Post. I'm not sure of the answer to that one (and if that makes me a "dickhead," so be it).

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

You're a dickhead! Kidding ...

I thought Hubbuch's Tweet was much worse, and a no-brainer firing, if only because it was for a NY paper and equated the election to 9/11. That tweet showed a remarkable and complete lack of judgment, IMO.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Perhaps more would buy his sincerity if he didn't work a plug for his book into every tweet.

Bronco77 and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I wish you all the success in your new job @Dick Whitman but if you ever feel the urge to switch careers, this thread is proof you'd be an excellent professor.

Draft saved Draft deleted