1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Update on Terry Frei of the Denver Post and tweet about Japanese Indy 500 winner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Jun 21, 2017.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Why is he writing/talking about the appeal? Seriously, STFU and lay low. Only making things worse. Mainly because he likes being in the conversation of things and thinks what he writes/says on the radio matters. It doesn't.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Who are you calling a board dickface? Me? And who accused you of being a troll? Me? You're totally within your rights to have an opinion that veers from the consensus and is wrong, Dick. ;)

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have no problem with your opinion. I think "racist" is term that's often slapped too quickly today when it should be reserved for the very worst. I wouldn't put his initial tweet in that category. But offensive, tone-deaf, unnecessary? Definitely. And if someone doesn't think that will result in a firing from a news organization, then they've been living in a cave.

BurnsWhenIPee and Vombatus like this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So it's OK to hate nationalities? Fuck this guy and his non-apology. His daddy fought in a war 70 fucking years ago. Grow up and put your big boy pants on, Terry. What a child, hating an entire nationality bc your pops once played against them in war.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He didn't say it's OK. He said that it would have been "stupid[]" had he posted the same thing about Germans.

He's saying it wasn't racist, though. And it wasn't. (At least not necessarily.)

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Why does it matter if it was racist or not? My view is that it wasn't, but I don't think that matters.

It was stupid though, and stupid enough that his employer would be reasonably justified in letting him go.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's bigoted, right? "I hate that a Japanese driver won this race." You can say that you hate that the New York Yankees won the World Series. You can't say that you hate that Tanaka won the World Series because he's Japanese.

Of course, Tanaka's arm has fallen off, so that's a moot point. Still. Not complicated.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Don't draw me into your semantics. I said nationality. You're dying on a dumb hill here.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jingoistic, for sure. And from there isn't not a long walk to bigotry.

10. Dick Whitman

It's not semantics. I'm not "trolling." Saying someone is "racist" is an enormous scarlet "R" on that person. It wasn't racist, and if he was fired because it was "racist," then Frei should battle that, at least publicly.

11. Dick Whitman

If you were the one being called "racist," wouldn't it matter to you?

12. Dick Whitman

This is just a newest version of the battle I have fought a million times on this site, wherein journalists (both here and writ large) think details and nuance are just a buncha bullshit, and I think they are actually really important, and next thing you know, I'm fighting World War III on multiple fronts with a senior writer at Esquire about whether I do or do not work in a cubicle and whether it matters if I do.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted