1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: New Baseball Team's Nickname NOT CONNECTED To Stephen Colbert!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 20, 2009.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Re: New Independent Baseball Team's Possible Nickname Could Honor Stephen Colbert!!!

Latest Results say "Coal Bears" may not get team nod after all.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/04/23/news/doc49f0708c44eea582886983.txt

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: New Independent Baseball Team's Possible Nickname Could Honor Stephen Colbert!!!

Naming a team after a talk-show host, whose ratings may well go in the shitter in six weeks, is moronic.

In 1998, we would have had teams called the "Springers." In 1991, the "Arsenios."

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yeah, it would be sort of like naming a team the Raptors and giving it a dinosaur logo during the frenzy over Jurassic Park.

Oh, wait ...

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I give you the Edmonton Cracker Cats (The name "Cracker-Cats" is derived from the oil industry term fluid catalytic cracking ("cat cracking" for short), which is part of the process of refining crude oil into gasoline by converting high boiling hydrocarbons into smaller molecules) who played two or three years in the Northern League, then moved to the Golden Baseball League. But the oil industry is the last thing I thought of when I hear the name. They got bought this off-season and are now the Edmonton Capitals.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Or naming a hockey team after a Disney movie ... 8)

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Coal Bears would actually be a pretty cool name if the team was in mining town.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Beautiful.

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Very true....but it's not a mining town. It's primarily a college town, with a Division I University and a Community College (on whose property the team will be playing on because the team will share the facility with the Community College's Baseball & Softball teams).

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Two points here: First, Nighthawks bothered me somewhat in that context, too. When the school district added a second high school, someone suggested Nighthawks, then, too. But once they did the research and found the KKK reference, the nickname was changed to Wildcats (Think Florida Panthers-type logo).

Second, as I understand it, the context the person submitting Nighthawks (my editor says it was him....Can't confirm or deny it) said what was being considered was that since the college team would play their games at 3 or 4 in the afternoon and the Independent team would play most of their games at night, it seemed like a good choice.

The KKK thing *did* however stick in my head when I first heard it. I just was not sure if it would, you should excuse the expression, fly, this time, either.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

The drama continues. NightHawks, due to its KKK affiliation has been withdrawn from the choice of nicknames.

CamelBacks (as opposed to CamelToes, which are much sexier) and Fellers (named for Normal founder Jesse Fell) replace the aforementioned NightHawks.

The more this story changes, the more it sounds like a big, old publicity stunt to get some national play.

http://normalbaseball.com/news/?article_id=8

11. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Re: UPDATE: New Independent Baseball Team's NOT CONNECTED To Stephen Colbert!!!

UPDATE!! -- Normal, IL's First baseball franchise will have a team nickname related to Corn, not Colbert.

The name: The Normal CornBelters.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Thank god. I haven't slept well since this controversy started.

Draft saved Draft deleted