1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: New Baseball Team's Nickname NOT CONNECTED To Stephen Colbert!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 20, 2009.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

This idea is just so dumb, it's unbelievable!!! Of the four possible choices for a new nickname for Frontier League team which starts play in my hometown in 2010, fans want to honor Stephen Colbert!!!

This just is so irreverent, it almost looks foolish.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/04/20/sportsextra/doc49ebf5be7abae757348526.txt

In full disclosure, I voted for Nighthawks, something submitted to the team by my editor which the team has as one of its choices. Voting closes Sunday.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: New Class A Baseball Team's Possible Nickname Could Honor Stephen Colbert!!!

Not foolish at all. Colbert's got influence and he's entertaining.

Hell, even NASA named something after him recently.

And I hope Nutz doesn't win. Modesto has had that nickname for a long time. Get something original -- and that doesn't mean adding a Z to the end. ::)

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: New Class A Baseball Team's Possible Nickname Could Honor Stephen Colbert!!!

Frontier League is not Class A. It is independent league, no MLB affiliation, probably not as good as a lot of D-1 college ball.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

“Nuts are synonymous with baseball and with the area with Beer Nuts,” he said. “Several people did Nuts with an S, but we put a different twist on it with a Z.”

You probably liked the Utah Starzzzzzzzzzz, too. Jerk. :D

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Coal Bears? That sounds ridiculous, but there are weirder minor league team names out there.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Regardless of the Colbert connection, Coal Bears is the best name of those four, and it's not close.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I voted Coal Bears, as did 46 percent of the vote!

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Since the team is in Normal, the nickname should be 420's.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I don't know what's more ridiculous: That Nuts(z) is the leading contender for Normal's nickname, or that they wouldn't be the first ballclub to adopt that name.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

I can't be the only one already tired of Colbert doing this kind of thing, can I?

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Coal Bears are up to 87 percent of the vote. It's a landslide.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Colbert and unaffiliated minor league ... perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted