1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Update: NCAA cancels all winter, spring championships

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 11, 2020.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

ASun announced that spring sports teams can practice, at the discretion of each individual school. They're trying to get a ruling from the NCAA as to whether it will be the off-season rule (8 hours) or in-season rule (20 hours). I kind of get this. Baseball players hoping to be drafted can stay sharp. Ditto golfers, although they play and practice so much on their own it doesn't matter much. Will any other conference do this?

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

1) Interesting that this is Liberty University's conference. Trying to become SEC Lite, I suppose.
    2) I get players wanting to stay sharp for the draft. But I'm not sure how much scouts can trust intrasquad games.
    In another 10 years, it will be interesting to see if the MLB draft -- if it is conducted in June as scheduled -- is any different from previous and subsequent editions in the bust rate of top picks. Are people more likely to be improperly rated if there is virtually no season?

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Pac-12 just officially canceled all spring sports. It's over.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't think the ASun's release aged well. Looks like they're not going to let more than two kids get together for a game of catch.

Tweener likes this.
  5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Well, never mind. The NJCAA cancelled the basketball tournaments and spring sports this morning.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the schools in our area is loaded and had a really good chance to at least make it to the World Series, if not win a national championship. Talked to the coach this afternoon and he sounded devastated.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My alma mater Tulane was Top 20 baseball for the first time in years, it'll lose its core of best players for sure. Private schools with high tuition are going to be hurt most I think.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Vanderbilt continues to amaze me in baseball.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The SEC finally gave in and canceled the rest of its spring sports season. They initially said they'd re-assess on March 30, then extended it to April 15, and then today said screw it all. There had been talk they might try to play the SEC baseball and softball tournaments at least.
    Also, spring football games and practices are all canceled.

SEC statement on remaining 2020 competition

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

With so many schools missing spring practice/games, I wonder if the NCAA will let football open practice earlier than normal and let baseball/softball have an extended fall practice season?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I saw one suggestion that the SEC should have a fall baseball tournament with all of the teams, and crown them 2020 conference champs. Not sure how that would work, exactly, but it might be a fun idea even if it would get lost in the football blizzard.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a pre-season NCAA tournament with whatever the likely bracket would have been this week. At least the graduated players would feel like they played for something.

Draft saved Draft deleted