1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: My house was robbed tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Re: My house was robbed tonight

Sorry to hear about the robbery, BD.

We once had our car broken into right next to our house. Some stuff (radio and other things) were taken out of it. It wasn't our house that was broken into, but I still know the feeling of insecurity that some asshole was going into MY car right next to MY house.

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

House was broken into while on vacation a few years back. The guy, who also stole my car from the garage, was arrested fro drunk driving and tried to tell the officer that he was me. The officer didn't buy it since most of the force knows me from the ER. The officer tracked me down in Colorado to tell me the bad news, then went out to the house, found it trashed and cleaned it up so I wouldn't have to come home to the mess. The feeling of invasion was worse than the anger over the crime and I had to move within a couple of months.

BD, I hope the emotions you fell settle. Best of luck.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

So sorry, BD. I know your wife will be glad to have you there.

We've been through it twice. To me, what you don't get over isn't the crime. Burglary has its own completely screwed-up, but inherent, logic. But smashing your statues? That's just plain meanness.

4. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Same situation as KG. Probably the most out of control and angry I had ever been was arriving home one afternoon and finding that my friendly smart dog could hardly walk. It took seconds to grasp the situation that the house had been burglarized and the dog had suffered a vicious beating. Many of us have one extra special soul mate animal in their life and mine was that beaten dog named Ernie. I was shocked and out of control with anger that my trusting friend had suffered a violent attack with no escape and that I wasn't there to protect him. But I also understand that it takes the same amount of rage and hate to kick and beat a defenseless dog. I agree with others that the 'stuff' doesn't matter (however,if your insurance doesn't immediately cover every last police-investigated claim then dump their worthless butts) but family and pets do 'matter'. Preparation and prevention are critical. Know your neighbors and develop plans and phone numbers (same goes for disaster preparation). Lastly, message to burglars, don't mess with defenseless family dogs else your life might end painfully. Hope things go OK BD77.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'd be mad at someone for stealing my stuff. I'd kill someone for beating my dog, and I'd never regret it.

Also, snuff, congrats on your most relevant and coherent post to date. :)

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This happened to my family once when I was younger, still living at home. Hard to sum up how naked and vulnerable it makes you feel. And hard to describe how much I wished I'd been there to do something about it. A cooler head (and the eventual revelation that they were a gang of crack-addicted serial robbers) made me realize I was glad I wasn't there, but I'll never forget how mad I was when I first realized what had happened.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

So, just a quick update:

I got to my house about noon yesterday after flying three hours and an hour and a half drive. Had a lot of time to think about what I was going to see when I got there. And even with my wife having started to pick things up, it was heart wrenching to see stuff just knocked over and broken.

To make things worse, the fingerprint dust they used was all over the place, which gave the house an even dirtier feel. Took us all day to get the place at least picked up. On a brighter note, the floors have never been cleaner!

I can't believe anyone would hurt a dog, like was mentioned in a previous post. If this bastard had hurt our dog, there wouldn't be a need for the sherriff's department. And to echo Cadet's point, if you notice something amiss when you get home, CALL THE POLICE! When my wife called me, I told her the same thing.

The investigator says he has a decent idea who did it, but it doesn't look like he left any viable evidence behind. This makes the fourth robbery in the county this year, all of them with the same MO. He believes this guy was looking for something specific in our house. We have (or had) nothing of significant value in the house. No guns or knifes or overly expensive jewelry. Hey, I was sports journalist in my previous life, too! But, having the chance to survey the damage, I noticed he tore down all the closets and found the boxes for our Wii and the PS3 and Rock Band, which he tore apart. Makes me think that he was looking for my RB and PS3. I've become a small celebrity in the county because of my Wheel of Fortune appearance. On several occasions, I have taken RB to a friends house and if he had driven by at that time, he would have seen it then. Or he could have seen it through the window of living room, especially the drum set. And all of this, he could have sold quickly for 400-500 dollars, no problem. Plus he left the PS2 and took the Wii (but didn't take the sensor bar, so it's useles). He also took my small stereo that we used in place of the TV speakers, which won't come on without the remote. Stupid. Plus he broke my TV. Bastard.

But, the most important thing, my wife and dog and cat are OK. And we're getting a security system Monday.

Again, thanks for all the well wishes!

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Thanks for the update. Yeah, I'd be getting a security system if I were in your boots too.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Times 10,000

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

True that

11. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

I regret that your presence in this forum is new to me, but I thank you for your attention to my posts. I have been burgled and stolen from many times in situations ranging from locker rooms to houses to stolen cars. They all made me angry (the deal is someone leverages vulnerability to separate you from your possessions). But you, as a sports worksmith journalist, chose the word 'mad'. I think your choice of the word 'mad' exposes a a weakness in your ability to mix and apply efficient verbal colors. Mad is when a teenager stomps up stairs during a timeout penalty for a stupid outburst. Angry is when your dog suffered a vicious beating. Your weak mixing of printing paints makes me suspect that, despite your numerous SJ posts, you might be deficient in world experiences. Again, thank you for your attention and hope your future experiences are happy and fat green.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

So my existence has just come to your attention, but you have surmised based on reading two of my sentences that I "might be deficient in world experiences"? Uh, OK. I assure you, my world experiences have been sufficient, as anyone here who knows me can attest.

The weakness of the word mad was for effect, as should have been obvious if you actually read my post. "Mad"would be my reaction to having my stuff stolen. The beating of my dog would inspire me to murder. See what I did there?

Draft saved Draft deleted