1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: My house was robbed tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Oct 1, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: My house was robbed tonight

You were burgled, not robbed. [/copyeditor]

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

That sounds like something out of the Hobbit.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We used to leave our backdoor unlocked at night. The front door was locked, and every window in the house is a good 8 or 9 feet off the ground.

But then a neighbor's house was broken into when they were on vacation. Luckily, they had just installed a home security device and the cops got there before the robber got away.

Our door is now locked each night, and we don't use the front door for anything.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My townhouse was hit when I was on a two-week road trip. Happened the day before I was coming home and scared the hell out of my wife, who made the discovery. The a-hole took a TV, VCR, a few other things. He also helped himself to an orange soda and dumped half of it on the living room carpet.
    The thing is, I knew who did it but I couldn't prove it. It was the boyfriend of the single woman who lived in the unit next door. He knew the layout of the building and from her unit he could easily got onto the roof, where he broke a window to get into my place.
    At that same place, when we were in the beginning stages of selling it, I had some stuff stolen during a real estate open house, a walkman, a watch and some foreign coins. I was out walking the neighborhood since I wasn't supposed to be there during the open house, but the real estate agent had 3 or 4 people in and he couldn't keep track of them all. Just as I returned home, some undercover cops showed up and told us they had been tracking these two guys and they knew they had burglarized my townhouse. They caught them down the street. It was freaky scary when I had to go to court. They could see who I was and they knew where I lived. But I never had any other trouble from them.

5. KYSportsWriter

SoCal, how are you sure it was that guy who broke in?

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It was a four-level townhouse with roof decks. The only way to get to the roof (unless they had a really really tall ladder) is from interior stairways. That person had to know that interior stairways went to the roof, had to know where the window was and once he broke it, how to get in. He was a big guy, at least 6-foot-4 and he had long arms. He had to break the window and reach inside to open a security gate.
    I didn't see him after that and the woman was evicted shortly thereafter. She was a renter. I was very friendly with the rest of the owners (it was a five-unit building) and completely trusted all of the others.

7. KYSportsWriter

Ah, gotcha. Just figured that was a pretty serious allegation.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

There are few feelings worse than realizing your home has been invaded. Sorry for what you are going through. I've been there, and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's a drag BD.

Happened to me about 15 years ago. One REALLY does feel invaded.

The insulting part was that they used my kids hockey bag to throw a lot of the stuff into.

Most of the crap was replaceable but they cleaned out our Videos, including ones we had recorded with family stuff on them.

Cop came in, looked around, dusted, and said "They were wearing gloves" and left.

Arrest rate on break-ins is pretty low unless it's an organized ring and frarnkly, it's a low priority since the cops figure most people are covered by insurance.

Oh, and Canucks will like this; about 25 years ago, some kids broke into my parent's house. My dad was really pissed when he found they took about $50.00 of Canadian Tire money.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

That is so awesome.

BD, sorry to hear about your fortune. Any chance this was someone you knew, considering you live so far out in the boonies?

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn. That fucking sucks, dude. Hope everything works out for the best.

Draft saved Draft deleted