1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: My house was robbed tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Oct 1, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Re: My house was robbed tonight

If the robbery took place in Virginia ...

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Aw, that sucks. I lived in the middle of nowhere like you at one point and left the front door open -- literally, open, for my dog to come and go -- when I went to work, so confident was I that it was so remote no one would go there.

I also had a house broken into whe I lived more in the city. That feeling of violation is tough to shake. Just be thankful you and yours are safe.

3. KG

KG Active Member

BD, sorry to hear this. Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I came home from work one day and my dog greeted me as I pulled into the garage (he had no way of getting down there) I noticed the door from the house to the basement/garage was open. I thought maybe I didn't get it latched all the way when I left in the morning and my dog had just ran downstairs because I was home. The first thing I noticed when I walked in the house wasn't the mess, but that the front door was open (had a storm door, but it was closed). Then I saw the lock system on the floor. I just stood there looking at it, very confused. Then as I looked around, I realized someone had been in the house. I just felt very numb. They took some video games, some jewelry, some rifles that had belonged to my husband's deceased father and (unfortunately), a computer, an extra laptop case which had some of my books for school and some pictures (the kind you don't show to company).

I also noticed the broom, which had been on the front porch, in the hallway. It really pissed me off, because I'm assuming they used it on my dog.

But all in all, I'd just lost my grandmother a week before it happened, so I was still kind of numb from that. When the police officer was there, I told him I didn't really care about the fact that it had happened, other than the fact that I think they hurt my dog, and that I just wanted to get the report over with so I could clean my upturned house and move on.

You do feel very violated and isolated after something like that.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Whoops, my bad. Virginia, Georgia ... they shuld still fry the guys if the catch them.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Was your dog OK?

Very sorry to hear that, BD. Getting robbed is one of my biggest fears. Sometimes I'm driving and I become convinced I didn't lock the door or that someone's going to get in anyway. When my wife and I house-sat for my sister a couple months ago, she told us to just go in and out via the garage door, which she never locks. I hated that, but I had no choice since I had no keys.

I'd always take our computers, even when we were just going to my parents' house.

Hope the cops find those fucking assholes.

6. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Well thank God the PS3 is OK!

Seriously, as one who has been robbed, that totally sucks. Took me a while to not freak out about things. We're all vulnerable to random and not-so-random acts like these. I actually lock my laptop in the trunk of the car in the garage when not home and over night. They can steal anything from me, but that would be almost impossible to replace given what's on it. ... On that note, everyone should back up their hard drives on detachable drives often and store them in a place where they cannot be taken.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I cannot think of a place I like to leave my laptop LESS than my trunk.

May very well just be my own paranoia, but I'm in abject fear every time I have to leave it in the trunk.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Seriously? You're gonna leave that out there?

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

BD77, all the best given the circumstances. The lack of security and violated feeling is far worse than the material stuff lost in any scenario like this.

As a child, we had our house burglarized once in North Carolina and another time overseas. Just a sick feeling not to feel safe and sound in one's own home.

Hang in there, hope that investigative crew attacks the case with vigor and all the best. Take care ...

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'll echo what others have said: This sucks and I'm glad no one was hurt.

But to add on, I want to stress that if you come home to something amiss -- front door open, broken glass from a window, locked backyard gate open, whatever -- CALL THE POLICE. Do not call your spouse/parent/friend. Do not enter the house or the backyard. Call 911 and wait at a neighbor's house or down the block inside your vehicle. There is always the possibility that whoever was on your property is still there. Better safe than ... not safe.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

BD, I'm hopin' like hell they nail the guy who invaded your privacy.

It's not a good statement of our society, that's for sure. I remember we didn't lock our doors when I was growing up.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. Hope everything works out.

Draft saved Draft deleted