1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: My house was robbed tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Oct 1, 2008.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

With all the horrible threads on here, I thought I would add to the pile.

For those who don't know, I have recently moved to Virginia for a new job. Which means, Mrs. BD77 is still behind in Georgia, finishing up the school year and selling the house.

This week is Homecoming week at her school and she was late with the students getting things done. When she pulled into our drive way, she noticed the door to our shed was opened, something odd because we always make sure to close it tightly. Worried, she called me. At first, I was nonplussed, thinking some kids in the area were playing around. Well, I didn't know how right I was, because when she opened the front door, our place was ransacked.

A couple of things. We live in BFE. I mean, way out there. In fact, if you plug our address in to Google maps, it's not there. At all. Secondly, our road is off of a main highway and isn't a well traveled path at all. Granted, it's paved, but still. In addition, we have just rescued a dog, and she couldn't find him, since the bastard who did this left the backdoor wide opened, but luckily, Kip was just under the bed, probably confused to what the hell had happened.

They didn't take much material wise. Smashed all of my statue buddhas, knocked over the TV, took some jewelry, but not all, from the box on the dresser, took the Wii but not the PS2 (I have the PS3 with me, thankfully for that) and our laptop. Which sucks the worse cause it has all our iTunes music on it.

This is all replaceable stuff. What isn't replaceable is the feeling of security we had out there. Seriously, you couldn't find our house unless we told you how to get there or you were real familiar with the area. You just feel violated. And worse than that, I'm four states away and can't get there until tomorrow morning, since the last flight out was after she found out about it. I'm just sad and pissed. My best friend has gone over to stay the night with the wife and I'll be there tomorrow to help clean up. She's taking the day off and I'll have to get out of work this weekend.

Just keep us in your thoughts and prayers. Times like this just really suck.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: My house was robbed tonight

bd, I'm terribly sorry to hear that. Let me know if there's anything I can do. That's horrible.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Bydesign

I've met you before and I know you're a good guy. I'm sorry that you and your wife are going through this.

Things will get better.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry bout that dude... all the things you;ve been through in the last few years, no one deserves,

5. Re: My house was robbed tonight

bd, good luck with this.

what would unsettle me more is it sounds like your house *may* have been targeted.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I am so sorry to hear about this! My thoughts are with you and your wife.

7. jps

jps Active Member

it's an odd feeling, bd ... been there. situation similar, as there was only a short window that we'd be gone on that day, and we were gone in that window pretty much every day. there is a violation there that is far worse than the items taken - at least in our case.

that feeling does leave after a time, turning instead into just a pissed-off memory. should help that you're moving into a new house ... the feeling of security and all, I mean.

prayers going out.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I had someone come into my apartment two years ago in what I thought was a really safe area of London. They took my computer and other stuff. And you're right, it's the loss of a feeling of security which really gets to you the most. It was especially scary since the person(s) did it while my roommate and I were sleeping in the other room.

My thoughts are with you man.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Thanks one and all for the support... couple of good things... the investigators in our Podunk County never get any real work to do, so they are all over this bad boy. Dusting for prints, crime scene photos, complete inventory, the works. We'll probably nail the sonsofbitches at somepoint. The other is the dog isn't hurt.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Virginia has capital punishment and isn't afraid to use it. Starman justice!

Just kidding. Sort of. At least you or your family were not hurt.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm so, so, so sorry for your BD77. I hope nothing else happens and you find the bastards who did this.
    I know it's probably difficult right now, but check eBay and craigslist for anything that looks familiar.

Thoughts are with you and your wife.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this!

My grandmother and grandfather had their house broken into two or three times. Each time, they were cleaned out of a lot of material stuff.

My dads have a security alarm for the house. We ALWAYS arm that sucker when we leave. In fact, when I *thought* I forgot to set it after leaving this morning (before I put the car in "drive"), I turned the car off, then went back inside to check. I'd put it on, so I put it back on and then left for work. Plus, my father owns a gun.

This has been a hellacious year.

Draft saved Draft deleted