1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Update: Last leg of the trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jun 30, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mrs. t_b_f and I have arrived in Washington. Although not in Seattle quite yet (we stopped about a two hours shy just for rest). I'm just finishing a bottle of cabernet that I started while watching the sun set over Moses Lake.

Trip highlights include:

Six straight hours of rain crossing Missouri on Wednesday. That wasn't cool. It was honestly the roughest six hours of driving I've ever experienced.

Corn. Goddamn, the Midwest is full of corn. I may not eat the stuff for a month.

We had a great drive yesterday. We started in St. Josephs, Mo., and wound up in Bumfuck, Wyoming. Buffalo, I think, was the name of the town. We covered a little more than 1,000 miles in 15 hours, and stopped wherever we wanted. We saw the Corn Palace in Mitchell, S.D., Badlands National Park and Mount Rushmore. Instead of heading back to I-90 from Mt. Rushmore, we took Hwy. 16 through the backwoods and wound up on I-90 near Gillette. I can't explain how beautiful South Dakota was (for those of you who haven't seen it). I've never seen anything as beautiful. That is, until I saw Idaho.

Early this morning, we stopped to see the Little Big Horn Monument just across the Montana line. Wow. What an amazing sight. In analyzing the terrain, I can't understand how Custer couldn't defend that ridgeline. I'm no tactician, by any means, but my Lord. The ridgeline that includes "Last Stand Hill" is absolutely freaking huge. I understand he was outnumbered, but it should not've ended that badly.

Idaho is the most beautiful state I've ever seen. Period. Those mountain passes will absolutely take your breath away.

Western Washington is much like South Dakota, IMO. No houses for miles and nothing but farms.

Tomorrow, we'll sleep a little later than normal and hit Seattle pretty hard for a day and a half.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Re: Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

I think you mean EASTERN Washington. Western Washington is pretty much the opposite, which you'll see tomorrow. :)

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

That happens to me ALL THE TIME. I grew up in east-central Pa.; you wanna get to the ocean or the major cities? Go east.

So I always sound stupid to my wife when I say something about Portland being in eastern Oregon...

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You are insane if you think Idaho is prettier than Montana. I cannot be argued with on this point.

Have fun in Seattle!

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Congrats on making it safely. But how did it take you 6 hours to make it across Missouri??? That's a 4 1/2 hr trip max.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The best part of the drive is yet to come.

The 130 miles from the Columbia River west to Seattle is some of the prettiest and most varied scenery you'll see. Plus, you don't have to hold your nose through Ellensburg anymore.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

On my I-90 excursion, I found South Dakota, especially at dusk, to be breath-taking.

I also loved the red hue of the concrete/asphalt (can't remember which) on the roads out there. Gives it a real earthy feel.

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I've got SC's back on her argument!

I'm flying into Bozeman next week for 11 days of fly-fishing in Montana and Yellowstone National Park. I'm going to have to TiVo the HR Derby and the AS-game. Oh well. I think that's more than a fair trade.

Have a good time TBF! Keep us updated.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Pfft. Go on I-70 from Grand Junction to Denver and let me know what your report is. Or go on 550 from Grand Junction to Durango.

Though I was in Canmore/Banff last week and was blown away, but that's a foreign country and all, so it doesn't count. ;)

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Been both places. Montana still wins, esp. Western Montana.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

So what kind of stuff have you/the missus been listening to/reading?

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Site of my first full-time newspaper gig. Ahh, I can still smell it in my dreams ...

Draft saved Draft deleted