1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: ISU prez green lights chap... er, "life skills assistant" propsosal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

Another newbie here...I'm all for the players to have someone to go to for guidance, but as many people on here have noted, having a team chaplain is fraught with problems.

It seems to me that if a player wants that kind of advice, he should be able to go to a local church.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not so much "that's different" as "that's gibberish."

The pills, in the cabinet. Drink a glass of water.

3. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your father in heaven."

The Pharisees used to pay people to blow trumpets before they prayed in public, which Jesus was talking about in the scripture you mentioned.

Praying in public, whether it be for something or someone, is quite different than the act of fellowship and teaching the Good News, which Jesus asks of us.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Very true.

But the difference is one of intent, correct?

5. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Zag, read what I wrote again please. I have no problem with the FCA, and fully support them. It's the idea of having a designated "chaplain" that worries me. And believe me, my experience is not of the "I talked to one player" variety.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Nice tap dance, you and the Big Chee should get together and join dancing with stars because both of you are master's at dancing around subjects that pose a whole lot of trouble for your very predictable and one-sided views as well as avoding answering questions that expose you as a fraud and a hypocrite -- that said, I'm still waiting for a thread about how horrible the Democratic candidates for president are for invoking religion into politics, my guess is I'll be waiting a long time.

I'm still waiting for you and the Fenian one to denounce Hillary and Obama for bringing God and their faith into the equation in order to try and sway religious people from the Rep's to their side........

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I've covered three Division I programs in the last nine years. All three had chaplains -- all three were pictured in the media guide in fact -- and there wasn't any splitting of the team, riotting, an outbreak of scrubs playing because they attended bible classes and John the Baptist didn't turn the whirlpool into a baptismal. It is no problem at all because the guy is there to help the kids and the only ones who have to talk to him are the ones who choose to.

Geez, and liberals are always railing on conservatives for being paranoid.....

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nowhere in that bunch of garbled nonsense is there any kind of response or challenge based on anything I've said on this thread or on this board, to the best of my knowledge.

But if you want to argue with the voices in your head, you go right ahead.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

You all have confused Zeke.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Here is the problem: You cannot gaurantee that the coach won't require his players to talk to the chaplain. And, since it is paid externally by a group not exactly known for its religious tolerance, it would be very hard to monitor the chaplain to make certain that he wasn't imposing too much on the student.

What happens when some kid, which isn't too interested in speaking to the chaplain, loses out on some playing time. Maybe it is his work rate or his play in practice that is holding him back but the kid that is playing is seeing the chaplain at least once a week. The benched player may not realize that it is his play in practice and may believe it all comes down to visiting the chaplain.

Now, you have a player that's running to the newspapers to complain "I'm not playing because I won't go to the chaplain. I am cut off because of religion." Not only is a court case coming up but a rift has formed in the locker room. Why would a coach want to put himself in that position? Why would a coach want to risk getting sued for not playing a kid based on allegations?

There is a reason that the church needs to stay away from public institutions. These institutions are inclusive to all people, not just Christians. At no point should some kid at a public institution feel as though they need to take part in a religious practice just so they can participate in an activity.

Besides, these athletes have a chaplain on campus. They are located at the church. The only difference is that it isn't directly in the locker room.

11. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

Pastor:
    We just have differences of opinion on whether there would be undue pressure on the players. I say it's unlikely.
    There's certainly a possibility some players would be uncomfortable with pre- or postgame prayers, chaplain or no chaplain.
    But I just can't see a coach who's hired and fired based on his won-loss record benching a player because of his religious views. If two players have equal ability, character and leadership could be factors
    but that involves far more than religion.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Again, BtR, you are missing the point. This has NOTHING to do with whether players will be under pressure (and history has shown that a lot of times they are). This has to deal with perception as well as team unity.

Why bring in a Christian chaplain when you want the group to function as one? Why bring in someone that doesn't speak for everyone in the group?

Here's a thought: Why not have a local strip club pay for a bunch of girls to dance in one of the coach's rooms. The players that want to see the strippers can go to the room. Those that don't want to don't have to.

It would be a stupid policy.

Also, BtR, why can't you just leave the damn church out of the public schools? Seriously, WHY? Are the students that want and need a chaplain too stupid to find the local church?

Draft saved Draft deleted