1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: ISU prez green lights chap... er, "life skills assistant" propsosal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

Yes, again, I need to justify my religious beliefs to the village idiot.
    And jimmymac asks the "Did you ever play the game?" question like he's a middle reliever wth an ERA over five who didn;t like a headline in that morning's paper.
    Grow up.
    And D-3 -- tthere is nothing more elitist than claiming you have a "personal relationship" with Jesus Christ, which is why Catholics reject the whole doctirne.

2. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

Damn, FB, you can't even answer an honest question? I was asking simply to find out more about where you're coming from. Lighten up, Francis! Not everything is an attack on you.

3. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Wrong, J_G.

4. Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

Piss off, dipwad.
    Your mock innocence is your least believable personality.
    And JG's correct, by the way, in general.

5. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Okey dokey. You are just a troll here, I see.
    Good luck with your miserable life, then.

6. Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

Ooh, with his 126th post, the newb' casts me out of his ever-increasing circle of admirers.
    And if I'd said, no, I never was a college athlete, what would your response have been?

7. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

I would say, "Thanks for the info."
    Neither was I. I just thought maybe you were, and had a different insight on the issue as a result.

Sometimes people can be genuinely curious.

8. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Auburn does what Chizik wants to do and before that Tuberville did it at Ole Miss. The chaplain serves as sort of a father figure/counselor to the players well as the coaches and it really works for them.
    He's not an Auburn employee though because all of his salary comes from private sources. If Chizik is securing outside, private sources for the chaplain, it would seem no one could stop him from doing it. He's not being paid by university or state money.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Exactly -- the same people who spend most of their time shouting down and pointing fingers at everyone who makes a remark they deem to be politically correct, mean-spirited, hateful, racist or bigoted and throw around terms like vitrol and intolerance have no problem spitting the same kind of stuff out when it comes to groups or individuals who are highly religious or spiritual.

I mean, just look at every thread with a topic that deals with the religion -- the lib's flock to it and start throwing around labels, tell everyone what they should or should not believe and then, even though most of them don't step inside a church on a regular basis, swear they know what is or isn't being preached in "right-wing churches" There is no greater hypocrisy anywhere than the left's constant barrage of hate and disdain for religions and religious people.

Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a team having a chaplain or a spiritual advisor for the kids to turn to talk through their problems and whatnot. The school isn't paying for it and there is nothing mandatory about it -- and I'm quite confident if athletes from other teams wanted to join in they'd be welcomed.

The team I cover has a chaplain and he is one of the most popular guys on the staff among the players -- even the ones who don't participate in his bible studies.

The paranoia and hysteria among some of you supposedly "tolerant" and "enlightened" people is ridiculous on its best day and a downright fraud on most days.

10. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

FB, I don't think you should ever have to justify you religious beliefs to anyone but God, and maybe your wife and children if you have them.
    But as for the rest of us, do you have to be so mean and spiteful to the Christians on this board? I've always tried to be kind, open-minded, considerate and non-judgemental toward you and your beliefs.
    Do you think it's too much to ask you to do the same?
    Or is this a one-way street with your name on it?

11. Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

I don't think I've been mean and spiteful to "Christians" at all, being one myself.
    I do object to a particular splinter sect of US Protestantism hijacking the word "Christian" for itself and for what I consider to be its solipsistic and elitist doctrine of personal salvation. And, if you bring it into the hurlyburly of political debate, don't expect it to be treated as any more sacred than a sheet full of poll numbers would be.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Okay. I'm not well versed in the Catholism perspective, only having a Baptist and a wannabe-Lutheran POV. With that said, I do see your point with that angle.

It really shouldn't be such a hot topic, but there isn't shit interesting here in Iowa, except Joe Biden ad-libbing to the Register editorial board. But, Iowa State put themselves in this predicament. Let them figure it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted