1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: ISU prez green lights chap... er, "life skills assistant" propsosal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jun 1, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

You are right -- it is amazing this is a topic of discussion.

First off the university isn't "employing" a minister, his salary is being paid by PRIVATE donations. Secondly, there is nothing mandatory about this minister -- a team chaplain is there to help kids who seek his help.

If players want to sit down with the minister and get some help, some advice -- that is fine. If not -- they don't have to.

There is absolutely nothing wrong -- constitutionally and/or morally -- about this and I'd say the same things if a bunch of private citizens got together and donated money for a muslim chaplain for the black players who request one.

And one other thing -- I bet you if you polled the players there'd be lessthan 1 percent who had a problem with it.

The team I cover has a chaplain, he is a good guy and the coaches like him because he is a former athlete and he is able to offer guidance and direction and he is available for kids regardless of what their spiritual beliefs are.

2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

A school I covered had one, but he offered guidance to players no matter their religious background. For example, if they were jewish, he would point them toward someone with the Jewish Student Center.

He actually works for the FCA and interestingly enough, he was also the head coach's brother in law.

3. Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

If I ran a public university, I'd keep myself a couple of hectares away from anything that has to do with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes -- Bill Bright's Trojan horse for wingnut Christianity.
    Look, boys, there's a church. Go there and get right with god on your own time.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Doesn't that violate some kind of nepotism law?

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Fenian_Bastard and Jersey_Guy hit it dead on. I will also add in this thought, since the Fellowship of Christian Athletes is involved and the coach is pushing for this, it is very well possible that praying and going to church become an unwritten mandatory event. Those that don't take part will see their roles reduced.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Don't think so pud. There are clear discrimination laws just as there are freedoms of choice. It's there for the players. It's there as a guide to keep some of the crap that leaks into the NFL from happening when minds are more impressionable. The coach can use whatever means he has to try and build character. If the player has problems, he shouldn't be forced on the chaplain. But if he doesn't utilize that option, and does little else, then yes, he becomes a problem for team chemistry.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Then again, last I heard, coaches "recruit" or persuade athletes to come to Iowa State. If they don't like the set-up, they don't have to go there. Go to Miami where thuggery abounds.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

How many of them are actually going to head to a church? Not to give them an excuse, but with class, training, practice, games, and everything else, they are not going to spend Sunday morning, Wednesday or Friday nights driving around and find a church to track down a minister to talk to.

Secondly, I'll rebuff the FCA comment to a small degree. The local chapters are not as nutty as Bill Bright and his faction are.

The FCA has an established chapter at ISU. They are coming in to run the show. It's a simple fucking request, no more no less. Unfortunately, several elitist assholes living in their Ivory Towers decide to tell the show how to keep it "private" only for them.

9. Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

Yeah, they have practice, class, training, games and all that, but despite all that I'll bet they still find the time to hit whatever passes for a club in Ames, or the local McDonald's. I've never been to Ames, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to go far to find a church.

10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

At least Mizzou went to a bowl game ... Kansas just has a coach in need of gastric bypass.

11. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Interesting to see the bitterness on display here, and the continued attacks on the faith of those with differing political/social views. FB, were you ever a college athlete? Just wondering.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Fenian is just an angry soul who needs prayer. He's attacked his own Cathloicism more than any deviant priest did.

Draft saved Draft deleted