1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: ISU prez green lights chap... er, "life skills assistant" propsosal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jun 1, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I thought this would be a way to get your opinion on this topic. Here is some background: new Iowa State football coach Gene Chizik sent a proposal to AD Jamie Pollard to hire a chaplain to accompany the football team. The chaplain will be compensated through private donations from the Cyclone Gridiron Club and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, so that no public money (school or taxpayer $$) will be used. The players do not have a problem with it, saying that it would be nice to have another option to go to for advise or to air out their personal issues.

The ISU faculty and the local ACLU has written a petition to the school president to reject the proposal. The irony here with the faculty is that they raised a stink last month when they rejected tenure to a professor who taught Intelligent Design, claiming that the Big Guy upstairs is the only one who created the earth. Today, they don't want to see a chaplain anywhere near the campus. Is it possible that they are trying to have it both ways? Or is it because this is a new coach and the AD being Jamie Pollard (who whacked five track and field coaches on Tuesday and hired the XC coach to oversee the entire track/field/XC programs)?

Another factoid that I came across as well: Dan McCarney had a voluntary chaplain on the sidelines during his tenure in Ames. Hardly anyone said a word.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070531/SPORTS020602/705310401/1003

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

Worked for Hickory in the Indiana boys basketball tournament.

3. D-3 Fan

It was a nice balance to Shooter's penchant for the hard whiskey.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

They need prayer to beat OU and the like for damn sure.

5. D-3 Fan

Hey at least they won't take their foot off the accelator, as McCarney had been known to do and blow games. From what I have seen in their spring camp, Chizik is "preaching" speed and knocking someone's head off. 'Bout time we've seen some aggression during spring football.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Here's the only problem I have with this: why just the football team? Does the basketball team or volleyball team not deserve another adult option to turn to? This is an opportunity that should either be provided to all athletes (i.e. have the chaplain on staff with the athletic department, using outside funds like the FCA) or not provided at all.

7. D-3 Fan

Iowa State do have a few chaplains for several teams. Chizik requested one because the last one left when McCarney and his staff were canned. On a slow news day here in Iowa, it becomes top story. An ISU alum I know said that the faculty has nothing else to do but bitch and since the athletic department is a moving target, when word got out of Chizik's request, some decided to take it out on sports.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Isn't this something that priests volunteer to do?

I've never heard of hiring one before...

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The Cyclones need far more than a chaplain in football most years.

10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

It's not just confined to Iowa State. The whole Big 12 North needs divine help the last couple of years. What an awful division. They also need help in making Ames, Iowa, a less shitty college town. I mean it's not as bad as say, Huntington, WV, but yuck. It still sucked donkey balls.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yeah it does.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah if any team in the Big 12 needs someone to pray for it, it's ISU...

OK, Kansas and Mizzou need it worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted