1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Hotel information on page 8 for Charlotte Gathering

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Apr 18, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Re: Possible Charlotte Gathering?

Again, spup, that's the all-star race weekend.

Go in with your eyes open, if you haven't started pricing hotels.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Just let us know, spup. My schedule is completely up in the air, a big mess and subject to violent change (whose isn't?) but if I can make it, I will.

If I were to make a suggestion, though, not a good weekend. Hotels will be booked and those that aren't will be insanely overpriced. More than 100,000 people have to go somewhere and I can tell you all those race fans aren't Charlotteans.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

OK, then either the weekend before the races or the weekend after. Whichever works best for everyone.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

After. More time to plan ... shoot, maybe we can make back our lodging expense by picking up beer cans and bottles at the track. ;D

5. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I am willing to confirm that the Charlotte area has a nice selection of strip joints and more than willing to visit one or more during a "gathering." A baseball game could be nice too.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The next weekend is a problem because they're still in Charlotte for the Coca-Cola 600. Then we get into the first week of June (and we may have already moved by then).

So I can go the weekend before, but that's 4 weeks out from now. That's May 11 and hotels are MUCH cheaper than the next two weekends.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The Doubletree Guest Suites in Charlotte offers free cooking. Maybe Oz could cook us all ham sandwiches one day. ;)

Or we could all stay there and do a progressive dinner in four rooms. You know, an appetizer in one, drinks in another (a good choice for Highway 101), main dish in another, and then someone could make us dessert.

It's $109 a night, which is expensive, but I'm still looking for cheaper rooms.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Spup is retarded. Doubletree is $90 per night.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That new Marriott property (Embassy Suites, I think) on the road that leads to the track is a phat-ass hotel.

I don't know how much it costs though. It's on Hammons Drive, I want to say.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

OK, it's $110 a night, 5-11 through 5-13. If you put two people per room, that's $55 a night. And it's nice, like I said. Plasma HDTV in the bedroom and the living room, a fridge, etc.

Or, for $175 a night (no upfront payment) you get a 2BR suite (a king AND 2 queens). So you could get 3-4 people in that room.

Embassy Suites

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Look at IJAG helping even when she can't come. That's awesome.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

:'(

Draft saved Draft deleted