1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Update: Gannett world — USA Today for sale?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jan 5, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the local initiatives did what they were intended to do - give the honchos back in DC some way of quantifying and controlling local news product.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Initiatives gives people with indefinable workplace goals SOMETHING TO DO. It trickles down to lower levels as well, where HR people whose former duties have been outsourced are given things to do like ... redesign the newsroom so that copy desk that was in a good quiet location is now placed inbetween artists and designers in the loudest, most trafficked area of the newsroom.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Exactly.

What it amounts to is a bunch of busywork.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This morning, I've seen two ads with Gannett's new slogan on CNN. I'm guessing they might be a trade of some sort, but what purpose does this serve? I can see B2B advertising, but mainstream commercial advertising would seem to be a waste.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

This is bullshit. Replacing a logo inspires what? Telling people that news is available thru multiple modern methods such as Internet, smartphones and tablet computers?

Gee, these just got here didn't they? Shit.

"The company generated $588.2 million in net income last year on $5.44 billion in revenue."

And $200 million went in Dubow's pocket along with other thieves like Donna Shalala of your bod.

You people who say CNHI is the dregs. It may be but in a much smaller form. Gannett? It's a dangerous dreg, bloated by its size and success in shaving employees of its roll of modern-day technological slaves.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell - I graduated high school with Gannett's new marketing chief. I wish her well, but I hope she isn't planning on being there more than three years.
    Why hire a marketing person AFTER you spend millions on a new branding campaign? It says just about everything you need to know about the big G. They'll dress up the windows, maybe plant some flowers out front, but they'll never bother with the plumbing or electrical since that would require an actual investment. The company has been run by people acting like they don't expect to be there in three years for as long as I can remember.

Draft saved Draft deleted