1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Update: Gannett world — USA Today for sale?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jan 5, 2011.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oh, Lordy, Jim Hopkins is working overtime at http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/

Among the sampling:
    What follows are 68 and counting comments detailing the plans. All employees will take a one week furlough in the first quarter. Others are getting a pay reduction and more layoffs might be coming:

And just to really piss you off:

Lots more on Hopkins' blog.

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Re: Giant and mostly bad news in Gannett world

So happy I don't have to deal with this anymore. It's not every employee, however. Guild peeps are safe in at least one city.
    No. 7 on the list is 5,000 layoffs in next 12 months? Perhaps they suppose at this point layoff news is a tad repetitive. Can't lead with that every time?
    (Always wondered about the beat writers who covered Wilt during the 1961-62 season. From games 50 on, I imagine their final sentence often was: Wilt Chamberlain chipped in 58, 63, 72, 49, etc.)

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is there any other kind of Gannett news?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read this thread and I'm so glad I'm done with this shit.

It was such a great profession that was just ruined by the idiots who run just about all of the major chains.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I miss newspapers, but I will never miss Gannett. I feel bad for anyone who is still dealing with this shit.

6. Mizzougrad96

I miss the good old days, but my last three years in the business were pure hell and it was all because of this kind of shit and nothing with the actual job.

5,000 is going to be one hell of a bloodbath.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If they truly do another 5,000 on top of what's already been done, how many will be left?

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the same Guild group that I know is spared... the only reason they are "spared" is because they agreed to a 10 percent across the board cut with no raises for three years. And those fuckers still got bonuses. Unconscionable.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

So glad I turned down a Gannett offer about six months ago...sounds like a nightmare.
    I've liked the product in the past, but it seems things are getting terribly watered down and it sounds like a horrible structure to work under.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Who needs reporters when computers can write the stories...is that where Gannett is headed. Unreal...and if so, it should be the death blow to the chain.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

After a closer reading, it looks like Phoenix, Detroit and USA Today employees won't be taking a furlough.
    Detroit is because of the union and the Republic recently combined with the TV station or something. Still not sure about USAT but they have generally been spared in the past.

12. Mizzougrad96

The only way to get to 5,000 will be to completely shut down a few papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted