1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Death toll from Oakland warehouse fire at 24, expected to rise

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It was the lead story on NBC Nightly News last night. They had two reporters on the scene and devoted the opening five-six minutes to the story.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The Clinton emails didn't get enough coverage, either.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I guess my standard was, "Are people fighting about it on the Internet?"

Big Circus and dixiehack like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

+1

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And they worked just as hard.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if being artsy led to wild sex.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Episodes 3, 7, 12, 19, 24, 25, 30-33 and 50 0f "Red Shoe Diaries" taught me that it does.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a terrible headline, but...

While @Dick Whitman and @RickStain were encouraged that I came out in favor of fire codes, regulations -- including zoning regulations -- do cause some of the problems that lead to a situation like this.

There's a big demand, not just for cheap housing, but for work/live space, and most cities don't make it easy to find/build desirable live/work spaces.

When you factor in that artists especially are willing to live in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods, and abandoned industrial/commercial/warehouse areas, and often contribute to revitalizing these areas, you would think local governments would look to encourage safe and responsible conversions.

I've lived in buildings that were illegal to live in, but only because they weren't zoned residential, not because they weren't up to code. For me to work from home, I need a freight elevator and a loading dock. In each case my neighbors were artists of varying nature.

If you want to have a vibrant community, and attract artists and other creative types, make it possible for them to find live/work space.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted