1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Death toll from Oakland warehouse fire at 24, expected to rise

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The California man who organized the artists’ collective where an inferno at a warehouse party killed as many as 40 people controversially mourned the loss of his life’s work on social media.

As emergency crews spent a second day searching through the charred Oakland building for any signs of life, Derick Ion griped on Facebook about his artwork getting ruined in Friday night’s inferno that tore through an illegal concert in the converted warehouse.

“Confirmed. Everything I worked so hard for is gone,” Ion wrote. “Blessed that my children and Micah were at a hotel safe and sound…it’s as if I have awoken from a dream filled with opulence and hope….to be standing now in poverty of self worth.”

Hundreds of people commented on Ion’s post slamming him for selfishly thinking about his artwork when so many human lives were lost.

“You self absorbed narcissistic piece of s–t. F–k all your artsy fartsy material bullshit, people have died and you are responsible, let that [sink] in,” one person wrote.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/04/artist...ebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow&sr_share=facebook

QYFW likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Should the title include the word fire?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Up to 33.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ.

I'm all for converting cool warehouse spaces into artists lofts/housing, and I'm against unnecessary regulations, but...

Fire codes and stairwells built out of something other than pallets are a fairly good idea.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'd worry a lot more about dying

QYFW likes this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad we found your ceiling on government intervention.

Though many would argue that all sides knew the risks they were taking and fire codes are an infringement on their freedom

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You can't create art unless you while away the hours in a death trap?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Much like the Yarnell wildfire deaths a few years ago, this story seems to be getting very little traction in the news cycle - and here. That might change, though, as blame is (justifiably) sorted out.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The market needed 40 bohemian artist angels living illegally in a death trap.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Among Oakland’s dozens of artist warehouses is one called Deathtrap

And, public records show that the city was aware of the place. The last open complaint on the Deathtrap property was filed with the city’s building inspection department in March 2011 for unpermitted alterations and damage from a vehicle. A subsequent filing shows the vehicle damage was repaired that September. It’s unclear what city officials did to respond to the unpermitted alterations.

QYFW likes this.
  12. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted