1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Calling-card campaign for soldiers in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, May 15, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I posted this on random thoughts earlier, but thought it would get more attention if I made a thread.

I'm trying to gauge interest in sending a batch of calling cards to soldiers who are in a unit with a very good friend of mine. They are in 4th Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division and are currently in Afghanistan.

I have a very close personal friend who is the personnel officer in one of the batallions. I would send them to him with instructions to distribute the cards to lower enlisted soldiers who may not have the money or support that would allow them to call home much. We could even include a note/letter to the soldiers, if you would like.

Any takers?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Re: Calling-card campaign for soldiers in Afghanistan

I'm pretty short of funds but I'll try to help soldiers anytime I can. Count me in for a couple of dollars.

3. three_bags_full

This one fell off the first page rather quickly, which could be an indication of lack of interest. But I'm going to try to keep it on the first page most of the day, and then again for the night crew, unless others have an objection.

4. three_bags_full

Bump ... again.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not sure why people aren't willing to help out, especially those who are more vociferous in their support of the war.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm in. Just tell me what I need to do.

7. three_bags_full

I just got an e-mail from Joe. He said calling cards were not needed. The paratroopers in his battalion have access to a satellite network and, therefore, there's no need for calling cards.

Alley, SC, thanks for your offers.

On another note, he said they have had a rough month. On top of getting extended recently (which takes them through next spring), the No. 2 man in their battalion -- the executive officer -- died today. He was shot in the neck. The man who died was a major, and Joe's direct supervisor. He's taking it pretty hard.

Their compound was rocketed five days ago, and they have had contact with the Taliban every single day for a month.

He's not happy.

His last sentence was: "I pray everyday what we do makes a difference."

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I just saw this and was going to offer a donation. I'm so glad to hear they have access to the satellite network.

And prayers for them in Afghanistan, and all the troops stationed over in Iraq.

Lots of prayers.

9. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

I'm in. Are there any other battalions needing cards?

10. three_bags_full

Thanks, Lamar. Joe told me what I had a sneaky suspicion of. The guys in 2/508 are using satellite communication that's free.

I am sending Joe a box of magazines and pogey bait, etc. If you want to send something, a card, letter (or anything, for that matter) PM me, and I'll include it.

I'll mail my box on Monday.

Draft saved Draft deleted