1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE 3: Enterprise Sports Reporter, The Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Jul 16, 2012.

1. UPDATE, AUG. 29: Many of you know me, so you know it's true when I say that I've never taken this long to make a hire. I've had a few delays in the process (some because top candidates took other jobs or withdrew for personal reasons), then the Goodlettsville Little League team decided to take all of my attention for a 10-day period. Now, I'm up to my ears with the Titans, Vanderbilt, SEC football, etc., getting started (we're producing new daily and weekly sections for college football, NFL and high schools). I promise to get back to this right after Labor Day.
    UPDATE, AUG. 20: I'm getting closer. Couple bumps in the road (not involving this hire). Hopeful to have a decision in next few weeks. Goodlettsville LL, Vandy, Titans, new high school platform have taken my time away from the hiring process. Hope to get back to it this week.

UPDATE, AUG. 8: I have spent many evenings going through more than 120 resumes/applications. I am in the process of sending notes to all those who applied who have not made the final cutown. I have also begun phone interviews with candidates.

I hope to make contact with everyone by the end of this week. It's a process. One that I take very seriously. Many fine journalists have applied. I can only hire one. I want to make sure it is the right one.

UPDATE: I have returned from vacation. I have received approximately 125 responses/applications. Thus, I am officially closing the search today. I will sort through the resumes this week. I hope to start narrowing the list by the middle of next week. My plan (as always) is to send a brief email to all.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to apply. As of today, I've only eliminated one applicant ... the one who spelled my name incorrectly. ... Dave

====

Do you Tweet? Shoot video on your iPhone? Blog daily? Understand Storify, Flipboard, Pinterest and Google Plus?
    Great. In today’s rapidly changing multimedia world, those are great attributes.
    That said, The Tennessean is looking for an enterprising sports reporter who can still tell a story the old-fashioned way. Of course, those capable of using the aforementioned tools will be ahead of the rest of our applicants.
    We’re looking for someone who can write a feature story on the Tennessee Titans’ practice squad one day, research the Nashville Predators’ lease agreement the next day, then write a hometown feature on a Tennessee Volunteer the third.
    Are you the right applicant? If so, you’ll email me your resume and a quick letter to tell me why you should be the chosen one. You’ll send me links to multimedia work. You won’t overflow my email box with megabytes. And you won’t call (Hey, I’m leaving for vacation on Wednesday; Gone until July 30. Calling will do you no good). Thus, show me you follow directions and that’s step one.
    Thanks, Dave Ammenheuser, sports editor, The Tennessean.
    Emails go to dammenheus@tennessean.com

2. Re: Enterprise Sports Reporter, The Tennessean

Bump.
    Based on some of the comments placed on some job postings, I guess I should be flattered that there have not been any comments placed here.
    :)
    Seriously, here's an update: I have received resumes/links/etc. from about 75 applicants. I'm actually on vacation through July 29. Others can still I apply until I return to work and start weeding through them on July 30.

-- DaveA

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

Re: Enterprise Sports Reporter, The Tennessean

Dave:

Just enjoy your vacation. You've earned it and so has your family. :)

4. Re: UPDATE: Enterprise Sports Reporter, The Tennessean

Updated.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: UPDATE: Enterprise Sports Reporter, The Tennessean

Dang. How do you spell Dave wrong??

6. Re: UPDATE: Enterprise Sports Reporter, The Tennessean

It was my last name ... I know it's 11 letters and complicated ... but one applicant started his/her email like this:

Mr. Emmenhowser,
    xxxx

7. Moderator1

He got you confused with the former President!

Yeah, getting EITHER name wrong is a killer. Try to get the name of the paper right, too.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Dave, should we just call you Ike?

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

He understands ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Hey, it's easier to spell that way. :)

11. STLwriter

STLwriter Member

Anyone heard anything about this one yet?

12. Moderator1

Yes. Just last week Mr. Emmenhowser came on and told us he was no longer accepting applications and was beginning to narrow the field. He hoped to have that done by the middle of this week. Which is tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted