1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, May 13, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It just got very dusty in my house. Pixar fulfills 10-year-old dying girl's final wish: To see Up.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=415257&GT1=28101

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I had interpreted that as maybe the doctor telling the couple they weren't capable of having children (a miscarriage wouldn't necessarily prevent the couple from trying to have another child). But, either way, it told that part of the story in such a way that I didn't have to answer uncomfortable questions to the eight- and 11-year-olds I went to see it with.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I had that story on one of my news pages tonight. My god. I went into the file expecting to shove it along through the system like most wire stories, but every graf just kept hitting me harder and harder and harder. Got to the mom's quote and about lost it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She should have picked a better film.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought it could have been either way (miscarriage, or capability). Although back then, if a woman had a miscarriage, frequently doctors would tell them not to try for any more children.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Such compassion. ::)

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I know you're joking, but really? Give your cynicism a rest for, say, 30 seconds maybe?

8. Mizzougrad96

It was an incredibly moving story, don't get me wrong.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Read that this morning and immediately concluded the local fishwrap was dumping dust into its pages.

:'(

A wonderful yet sad story and I'm glad it didn't slip by unnoticed.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Finally saw this film tonight.

Haven't ever been that genuinely touched by an animated film. Pixar is really trusting their audience, first with Wall-E, and now this. Great visual storytelling without a dependence on gags or dialogue. As if they are saying, "OK, you were eight when you loved Toy Story. Now you're 22, and you can handle this kind of thing."

The entire 10-minute montage of their life together from meeting as kids to him sitting alone after her funeral with the balloon in his hand . . . so perfect. An incredible job showing the highs and lows, and how they dealt with the lows. Anyone who has lost a loved one, or has had a lifelong, soulmate type of relationship, would be moved by that sequence.

The book and the meeting with the bad guy were predictable, but so well done. I didn't "enjoy" it like I enjoyed Toy Story, Cars, The Incredibles, etc. But I cried more than once.

I'd say more, but most of it has been said in this thread. Suffice it to say, I pick and choose which Pixar movies I see, and this one really resonated with me. Just a wonderful little movie.

11. Mizzougrad96

Both Toy Story movies, Cars and The Incredibles are true classics that kids will be watching 30 years from now.

Wall-E and Up? Not so much...

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

How about Ponyo? I'm going to see it tomorrow. I have a feeling it will warrant its own thread before long.

Draft saved Draft deleted