1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, May 13, 2009.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

After quite possibly the saddest music montage in the history of cinema, the movie delivered the funny with so much punch that I almost fell over crying a couple of times.
    Especially when you meet Alpha for the first time, that was fantastic!

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Alpha's voice was such a cheap, easy laugh, yet it still made me chuckle every time.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I was impressed with the grace the filmmakers handled the wife's implied miscarriage. That was quite moving.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This movie knocked me on my ass.

5. Agreed . . . Let's not make this bigger than it is, an animated film.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. They needed to explain why the couple never had any children. In two quick scenes with no dialogue at all, they handled that story beat in a really touching way. I mentioned it before, but as I think back on it, the stuff with the two of them really was the best part of the movie.

7. Among the dumbest things ever written on these boards says this proud ASIFA member.

Up has more emotion and personality than any movie released in years.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Oh bullshit.

Up was about as good as Wall-E. Animated or not, they're both good, well imagined and very well paced, plotted and "shot" movies. They are witty and clever. They're short of perfect, though, and if they're the only movies you've seen in years with any "emotion and personality" you don't watch many movies.

9. I think that's the thing that soured me n the movie. Did I like it? Sure, it entertainmed me at times. But so many people are so over the top about it, that it can almost never live up to the standards. There are certain movies I walked out of theaters or away from the TV going, damn, that was a good movie. Shawshank, Rocky 1, Godfather, etc. I didn't walk out of the theater planning my second trip to watch this movie again. It was good, sure, but let's not get too crazy about it. And Manning, it wasn't a dumb comment, no dumber than people propping it up on the highest of the highest pedastals have been, like you did.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just want Pixar to make a movie for kids. I get the sense they're more concerned with critical acclaim than they are making a great movie for kids.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mizzou,

I go back to what I said earlier. Why does an animated film have to appeal just to kids? And also, why should appealing to kids and garnering critical acclaim be mutually exclusive?

Did you see the Triplets of Belleville?

Im not sure a six year old would have enjoyed it but it was pretty creative stuff that would have appealed to older kids and adults. It didn't consciously pander to children.

I still think Toy Story may still be my favourite.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Toy Story worked. Every topic it took a swing at in that movie, it knocked out of the park. It connected with everyone that has ever played with toys and it had simple but tried and true themes.

Up and Wall-E both tackled much larger themes, but that wasn't the only difference. I didn't feel like EVERYTHING worked, like I have felt in several other Pixar movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted