1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up, up and Away - Keri's Expos book

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NDJournalist, Mar 29, 2014.

1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

I was reading the MLB thread and noticed mention of the exhibition game in Montreal the other day, so I thought this topic might be worthy of a thread in itself.

Has anybody else checked out Jonah Keri's latest book on the rise and demise of the Expos? I found it fascinating, with great anecdotes I wasn't aware of before reading.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was on Nerdist promoting it this week. It sounds like a really interesting read.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Have it on hold at the library, will hope to make a dent in it next week. Huge Expos fan before the Jays came around and remained a fan until the last game, looking forward to this one.

4. NDJournalist

I will warn those who pick it up that the entire book -- at least the version I downloaded to my iPad's Kindle app -- is written in Canadian English. Defense is spelled "defence" and center field is written as "centre field." It take a long while to get used to but doesn't really destroy the flow of the book.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Here's an excerpt.

http://grantland.com/features/jonah-keri-up-up-and-away-book-excerpt/

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Well I hope I can make it through it. Half of it should be written in French.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why would it?

8. NDJournalist

It's just different. I didn't expect the whole book to be written that way.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That Warren Cromartie quote at the end is 90 kinds of awesome.

May the Expos rise again! Glad I got to see a game there.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never got to Montreal for a game but saw the Expos play in Toronto a couple of times, rarely saw the dome that jacked up for a regular-season game.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Attended one game at the Big O back in the early 80s. The things I remember most from that night are how cold it was for August and how far away we were from the field sitting in the lower part of the upper deck. The place had no character at all.

12. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

This may come as a shock to you, Sonny Jim, but it's a well-known fact there are more countries than just 'MURICA! that have English as an official language.

Draft saved Draft deleted