1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up next - Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 2, 2009.

1. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

It also has a Saturday edition. But it's an E-edition.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Publisher says the cuts are at least 40 percent, could be more. Says no decisions made about sports department's future, but it doesn't sound good.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/02/AR2009120203295.html?hpid=topnews

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm not surprised at all.

Saddened. Concerned. Bummed.

But not shocked.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Times was the first paper to really give me a chance as a stringer, and I'm still thankful to Mark Hartsell to this day for that chance. This really sucks.

5. Better sports media and hockey coverage than the Post, hands-down. Shame for DC sports if this happens.

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Yeah I came on here as soon as I just received word from a college friend about it. She is currently at the Washington Times, and said expect that 40 percent cut. They were all told "to plan as if their job is a piece of that 40 percent." she's flipping out getting her resume updated because she truly believes she will be chopped.

Just another day in paradise!

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I know SEVERAL people at The Washington Times from my college days, and from just beyond my college days. Not only that, but I can say from first hand experience that soccer writer John Haydon is good people.

Goddamn it. This shit blows giant, hairy monkey balls.

Draft saved Draft deleted