1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up next, Daily Bugle; Peter Parker among the cuts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/worklife/03/01/spiderman.gets.fired/index.html?section=cnn_latest

(I love how the editor acts like having Peter Parker struggle with money is a new storyline)

EDIT: Apparently it's an issue of ethics.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/times_are_tough_spidey_gets_the_O5RCNKNqD0vKfY0ieEXsbN

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Parker, who'd been working as a photographer for newspaper publisher-turned-mayor Jameson, gets busted for doctoring a picture to clear the wrongly accused Jameson of some illegal activity.

He should have doctored the pictures to show Jameson with some farm animals.

In other comic book news you need to know, Archie still can't decide between Betty and Veronica and Richie Rich is still, well, rich.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Clark Kent just got nervous and doesn't know why.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

In a separate but related story, investigative reporter Jack McGee is himself being investigated in connection with his "pursuit" of this mysterious Hulk figure.

"For Chrissakes, McGee!! You're turning in thousands of dollars worth of expense reports each month, traveling here and there, all across this bloody nation, but when the fuck are you gonna actually WRITE something?!?!?!"

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cub reporter Jimmy Olson just drew wood and knows exactly why.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, DC had a story arc on the Daily Planet being bought out by a rapacious greedy corporate-pig publisher who then busts the union, lays off most of the staff (including Clark Kent) and converts the paper to online-only about 10 years ago.

The rapacious publisher? Lex Luthor, of course. Art imitates life.

This probably belongs on the "geek thread" which I haven't looked at for a couple of months, but in the last couple of weeks, there have been a spate of rumors that Warner Bros. has convinced "Batman Begins"/"The Dark Knight" genius director Christopher Nolan to act as a "mentor" for the production of a new Superman movie (which apparenly WB must have in production by 2012 for legal reasons related to the ongoing legal battle with the heirs of original Supes creator Jerry Siegel), and among the plot points they intend to include in the next movie will be the Daily Planet shutting down and Clark Kent losing his job.

I never watched "Lois and Clark" very much, but I think they had an episode on this general topic a decade or more ago, too.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's got to be a way Archie can nail them both.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The disaster that was Superman IV: The Quest For Peace had a subplot where a robber-baron/tabloid enthusiast bought the Daily Planet and started changing things. Gee, I wonder who they were commenting on . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted