1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up next - Atlanta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It may never end. This comes from a very dependable piece of The Pipeline:

Newsroom scuttlebutt is that paper will lay off or buy out an undetermined amount of folks NEXT week. This comes on the heels of 50-plus being bought out last summer. Not much fat left so don't be surprised to read some familiar names next week.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Covers Dixie Like the Dew, my ass. Stop the fight already.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

When I was younger, the AJC was one of my "destination" papers. Ugh.

EDIT: I failed reading comprehension 101.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Could be more, could be less. Moddy was just saying it comes on the heels of 50-plus being laid off last year.

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Wow. This is becoming like that snowball that just keeps getting bigger and bigger as it sets it sights on the lodge at the end of the hill.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Says right up there "undetermined amount of folks."

Sucks even if it is one.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

My bad.

Agreed: One is too many.

8. agateguy

agateguy Member

I will always associate the Atlanta Journal-Constitution with the late, great Lewis Grizzard.

Though I wish Grizzard was still alive, I'm glad that he never had to deal with anything like this (though he would have landed on his feet). It's a shame that many good people from that newspaper are.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I find it interesting that the KC Star has escaped layoffs so far in sports (at least that I know of).

All of the other top sports sections have taken huge hits, but for whatever reason The Star has not. That makes me very happy since it is probably my favorite section right now.

10. scribbler

scribbler Member

Kansas State beat writer Howard Richman was laid off a few days back. You miss that one?
    Also, this means the great Kansas City Star will now get its Kansas State coverage from the Wichita Eagle. Nice.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I missed that one... Sorry to offend you...

12. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Don't be surprised to see the words "Houston Chronicle" on the Up Next list in the near future.

Draft saved Draft deleted