1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up in the Air

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 7, 2009.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to see this. Last week, I flew American and stayed in a Hilton so I've seen plenty of promos for it.

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine spent several days with George Clooney working on a feature for her paper when he was down here filming, "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou." Said he could not have been nicer or more down-to-earth.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC and I saw it today.

Wonderful movie and Vera Farmiga is gorgeous in an un-Hollywood kinda way.

George Clooney as Ryan Bingham may be the coolest man in the universe. You really got a sense of his disconnect from the world at large in the scenes with his family. He was a complete stranger and the discomfort between him and his siblings was palatable.

The Anna Kendrick charcter as the recent grad with a bunch of textbook ideas but not many smarts played the role to perfection.

Great line:

Natalie Keener: That's racist.
    Ryan Bingham: I'm like my mother, I stereotype. It's faster.

After that we went to see The Road. Two quite different films. :)

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Last book I read b4 9/11. Great read and I hope the movie lives up to it.

o-<

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Mr. fotf

I'm adding the book to my Christmas list. I liked the movie very much and I liked that fact that there wasn't a 'hollywood' ending. I'll also add that I can't imagine any other actor in this movie. Clooney is one of a kind.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I saw it today, and I liked it but didn't love it. I also found the stuff related to the people being fired really depressing, probably because earier this year I was on the wrong end of one of those meetings.

The acting is top-notch. Clooney is just the coolest mofo on the planet. I'd never seen Anna Kendrick in anything, and she's terrific -- the interplay between her and Clooney was the best part of the movie. I think the problem with Farmiga was just a very unflattering haircut.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm going to go see this next weekend, when I get home from visiting the fam. I'm very excited.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Huh? I actually think she's a pretty strong actress. While she doesn't have that sort of heavyweight resume of the male actors, who would you rather cast? Kate Winslet? Gwenyth Paltrow? Meryl Streep? I thought Vera was solid in The Departed, and she has a really strong performance in otherwise unremarkable Paul Walker movie Running Scared.

9. How was Eric Roberts as the husband?

Oh, unforgettable!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I saw it Saturday and I enjoyed it, though it wasn't as great as I was expecting. I'm pretty sure I set entirely too high of expectations when it comes to these critically acclaimed movies, though occasionally they are met.

It's nice to see Henry Rowengartner's mom back at work.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

For half the movie I thought Farmiga was one of the Arquettes.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My wife thought the same thing -- all through the movie she kept saying, "Who is that? It's gotta be an Arquette."

Draft saved Draft deleted