1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up in the Air

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Saw it last night. Watching the George Clooney character was like watching myself, with his attitude about life, women, marriage, everything -- until about four years ago.

Would really recommend it to anyone who travels for a living. Of course, that includes a lot of people on this board.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm excited to see it. Mrs. Riddick is not.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You'd think George Clooney would make that an easy sell.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I loved it up until the last 30 minutes or so and then it kind of lost me. As a happily unattached person, I hate when movies make it seem like the single person's life is sad and lonely (even if the single person doesn't feel that way).

I also think Vera Farmiga looks like she got hit in the face with a frying pan (I said that on a thread about "The Departed," too. I liked her more in this movie, but I still find her hard to look at.)

5. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Yeah, I haven't seen it yet, but she looks awful.

How was Kenny Powers in the movie?

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Very small part. Not much of an impact, at all.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Vera Farmiga getting a role in The Departed was like Penelope Ann Miller starring in Carlito's Way or Elizabeth McGovern, for cryin' out loud, in Once Upon A Time In America. You look back years later at those lightweights, matched up with heavyweight male actors, and wonder what they were thinking.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Sofia Coppola, ahem.

Saw Up in the Air tonight and loved it. Clooney is so good these days. Read a review that said he's the only actor today who can pull off this kind of role and I'd agree. Wonder what others thought of the ending.

Found the song that plays during the wedding sequence. It's by a Chicago-based guy who was discovered by Reitman and he asked the guy to write something original for the movie. Love the song.

Can listen to it here.

http://incontention.com/?p=16395

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That song's great. Thanks.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that link. That song made me cry during the movie.

Beautiful song.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kenny Powers is my life coach.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

JR and I are planning to see this on Monday. I've been looking forward to it for months.

And to quote Carrie Bradshaw (the TV character, not the former SJ'er), "Clooney is a classic, like Chanel. He never goes out of style".

Draft saved Draft deleted