1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unwed pregant teacher fired by Catholic school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Feb 7, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Story notes that Pope Francis just baptized the child of an unwed couple, and called and offered to baptize the child of another unwed mother who decided against an abortion.

But what does the pope know about being Catholic.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Not nearly as much as he knows about shitting in the woods.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That might be swinging a bit too far the other way, but there is a big difference between not firing an already-employed teacher and not naming somebody to a 'leadership position.'

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm not Catholic, but I'm pretty sure the Pope's heartstrings are tugged by the babies here, not the mothers.

5. Starman

The baby of the unwed mother will certainly be hurt by the mother losing her income and medical coverage.

6. doctorquant

I'm sure she'll never work again. But, sadly, I remain woefully unclear as to what that has to do with the Pope's baptizing said babies.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Would seem to indicate, dq, that the pope is somewhat more understanding of life's circumstances. And also that he believes in the "hate the sin, love the sinner" approach.

As Catholics and textbook examples of how to treat people go, you could hardly find a better one than an unwed mother, but I guess the school never read that part of the Bible.

8. Starman

The Pope appears to be much less insistent upon stigmatizing the unwed mothers than the Diocese of Helena.

Hopefully the newest inductees into Moocher Nation won't siphon off too much of your precious personal wealth and force you to Galt's Gulch.

Maybe if she had been allowed to keep her job and support herself and the kid she wouldn't get her face into the trough quite so fast.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's a fine line to walk between showing compassion to those who made a poor choice and find themselves in an unfortunate situation and also upholding your standards.

10. doctorquant

I'm sorry, but the Pope's baptizing babies born to unwed mothers and this diocese firing this teacher are completely different things. One says nothing about the other. Nothing.

I don't know whether this teacher is a communicant in this diocese, but if she is I'd bet $100 that any priest in that diocese would be more than willing to baptize her baby. Further, I'd bet folding money that churches/communicants in that diocese would (and will) pour out their generosity to help her through this regardless of whether she's actually a communicant in this diocese.

11. doctorquant

I would have thought someone of your literary gifts would have realized I was being sarcastic there. After all, as you've told us six or seven thousand times, you did unmask Ayn Rand as a charlatan and a fraud in your teens. Perhaps even real genius has its off days every now and then.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How the fuck do you know it's a poor choice?

Draft saved Draft deleted