1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

unusual hiring requirements?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by runningman, Jan 19, 2007.

1. runningman

runningman New Member

What's the most unusual requirement during the recruitment / hiring process for a sports writing job you've encountered? Are background checks pretty much standard these days? What about checks on driving, credit, etc.?

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Somebody on the jobs thread was talking about one paper that wouldn't hire anyone with traffic tickets...and it wasn't like it was a place that could afford to be picky....it was far removed from the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. I mean, it's one thing if a guy ran over a Girl Scout while he was tooling around drunk...but to write off someone who went 60 in a 45...wow.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Back in the early 1990s, there was an E&P ad from a Kansas paper for a daily sports editor who "must be able to operate (a particular brand of Goss press, I forget)"

That took the cake for me.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Any of you guys ever take that Knight Ridder test?
    Talk about Cruel and Unusual.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've taken it like three times, each for a new job (two I took). Pain in the ass.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I took it once. They said I did OK on the test, but didn't hire me . . . musta been my sparkling personality that threw them off or something. It probably turned out for the better. I remember the test sucking.

Anyway, does anyone know if the old K-R papers still use that test now that K-R is a thing of the past?

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

That must have been a test for an editor gig, huh? I didn't have to take one when I was a lowly scribe. Which is good, because I don't do well on those personality tests. I bombed the Books-A-Million one twice.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The old K-R places aren't using those anymore. I didn't have to take one when I got my current gig.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yep. It was, at the time, for an ASE gig.
    It was the copy editing test that was "altered" a bit. Which was brutal for me, because I'm not a champion copy editor.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Nor did I, and I'm at a former K-R.

One place had me take three hours' worth of psychological tests. Three hours. Swear to God. And none of the questions had anything to do with editing copy (or page design, for that matter).

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I did that when I got hired by Lee. Bleech.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

i had to pee in a cup. which sucked.

I thought everybody in this business (at least my age [the]) smoked the left-handed Luckies

Draft saved Draft deleted