1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unusual contract revision

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by J Staley, Mar 31, 2011.

1. J Staley

J Staley Member

Being new to the details of college coaches' contracts, I was hoping somebody could lend some perspective.

New Mexico reworked football coach Mike Locksley's contract so that if he is fired after this season the school owes him $150,000 per year rather than the $365,000 per year under the initial deal.

The new deal also stipulates that Locksley doesn't have a buyout if he decides to leave early. And the coach will get a $50,000 bonus if UNM musters six wins (very unlikely).

I've never seen a contract re-worked in this way. I know some coaches have had base pay lowered as a punishment, but I never heard of something like there where both parties basically foster a split.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There might have been some money moved around to bring in better assistants - but yeah, it sounds like a post-nup.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why he isn't long gone is mystifying

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

He realizes he's the worst college coach in America and is making his contract say so. Also, gotta give the university a little money back for punching an assistant coach.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

University can't afford to buy him out??

6. Matt Stephens

They were looking for a reason to fire him for a while ... if assaulting an assistant isn't a reason to axe someone, I don't know what is.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sounds like he's looking for another job. As Keith Richards would say, he's gonna walk before they make him run.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I believe Virginia and Pete Gillen came to this arrangement before what became Gillen's final year. The school was about to whack him and pay him the full amount. He suggested a compromise: If you keep me for another year, I'll forfeit my rights to some of the settlement money.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This might be one case of a coach's shaky status of helping with recruiting.

10. Matt Stephens

This

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Speaking of unusual contracts, I saw something around the time that Pat Knight was fired that his contract stated he'd be paid the median salary among Big 12 coaches. Maybe that's more common than I think, but I thought it was interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted