1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Untracked"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I see this everywhere in quotes and columns, even in Top-10 newspapers, talking about how teams need to get "untracked" if they're on a long losing streak. My immediate thought is always how wrong this is.

Not to use a cliche, but if a team gets "back on track," that's a good thing. And if a train falls off the track i.e., goes "untracked," that's a very bad thing.

So why is "untracked" used so frequently?

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i always wondered about that too, wally.

i used "get on track" if i was ever forced to use that cliche.

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Since I can't explain what it means, I never use it.

Same goes for the following:

nonetheless
    nevertheless
    by and large

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

un‧tracked  /ʌnˈtrækt/ –adjective
    1. that is not or cannot be tracked or traced: untracked marauders of the jungle.
    2. Informal. achieving a superior level of performance after a slow start: The team suddenly got untracked and began to score.

5. It comes from people misunderstanding the phrase "on track."
    It's like when people say, "I could care less." They mean, "I couldn't care less."

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

That annoys me. I make a point of saying "couldn't" because it drives me mad when people don't say it.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What about "irregardless?" ;)

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think teams often get untracked when they plate some runs.

9. Thank you for this. I was going to respond with something very sarcastic. You handled it much better than I. Normally I could care less ( ;D) about this stuff, but the untracked/on track question bothers me for some reason.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Is that gonna get ya back?

11. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I recall Gunnery Sargent Hartman telling Private Pyle that he'd best "unfuck" himself, if that's similar.

Draft saved Draft deleted