1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Until you step in my shoes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Oct 12, 2009.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'd rather have complaints than a placid newsroom. One thing that wasn't spelled out here: I know it probably wouldn't have soothed the photog, but was there an option to put more photos online? If she's worried about clips, more and more shops are turning to photo galleries to use more art.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

This is why web slideshows were invented.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Worked there for 9 years, so I don't think clips are the big issue here. And while we don't have a slide show online, we do have a web gallery, so parents can go on, look at all of them and buy one of little Johnny.

I just tried to explain to her that I had "X" amount of room, "Y" amount of content and "Z" amount of time to piece it together. And that it wasn't done to slight her. If she can't accept that as an answer, maybe she just doesn't understand what it is I do.

4. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Let's see, photogs show up for half the game, leave without having to compile any stats or interviews, go back to the office where they have little or no deadline pressure to find 1 or 2 decent shots of the 100 or so they took and make a simple crop.

At my first job we didn't have any staff photogs so they gave all the reporters a camera to do our own pics. It wasn't long before I was getting action shots that looked just as good as the full-time photogs from the larger papers in the area (and doing it while keeping stats and notes at the same time mind you).

Yes, there is some knowledge involved with things like lighting, background, etc, etc. But all things considered, it's a pretty cushy job. There's no way in hell you could make the argument that's it's as difficult as being a writer, so please don't even try. Tell them to shut up because they get paid the same whether you use 1 or 10 of their shots.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

the best response on here by far ...

plus, you can still use her other photos later in the season to advance other games and such ... sometimes when I'm in this predicament, I'll put the 3-4 photos submitted to me on the Web even when there is only room for one in the paper ...

6. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

OK, so this a pretty good response, too ;-)

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The bottom line here, like the input from the shooter or not, is that if you treat the photographers like you don't care what they do or what they say, they are going to start blowing off your assignments and turning in something to fill a tiny hole when you need something good.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Then you did the right thing. She'll understand eventually... well, maybe... :)

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I can understand where the photog is coming from, and I understand where you're coming from as well. For the photog, she went a good ways away and got what she felt were great shots of a local team, only to see a single image get used at the expense of wire coverage. To me, it's simply human nature she would be a bit ticked. Yes she overreacted, but wouldn't most of us have a similar take?
    It's not just a photographer thing, the same can happen to writers as well. I've written game stories, then the next morning I see great quotes cut and think, "You cut THE quote of quotes and yet kept THAT other quote?" And then I call or e-mail asking the editor why that decision was made. It's not out of disrespect, just wanting to know what happened. Bottom line, it was the editor's call, I'm not questioning that. I'm just making a case for my point of view. Hopefully the photog in this case was just blowing off some steam, and will be good to go.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Starman, Football_Bat and golfnut showing great attitude and approach that is sure to make your product better.
    Nothing like telling a co-worker to fuck off if they don't like what you do.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

She drove four fucking hours and took four photos? What a worthless piece of shit. Take 50. It doesn't cost you anything more.

That's some backward ass thinking right there. If you take more photos, you do a web gallery, maybe get some traffic, make the paper some money. But nope, be lazy, take four photos, come back and complain about not getting good play in the paper. What the fuck is wrong with people?

We wonder why newspapers are in trouble.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Speaking from a photography standpoint, I'm sure she took more than four photos and picked out the four best. Hell, the last time shot for our paper I probably shot at least 150 and came away with three or four.

Draft saved Draft deleted