1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Until you step in my shoes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've known some I would have gladly stuffed in a dirt box somewhere. Others that were the most loved people at the paper.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I never criticize anyone until I've walked a mile in their shoes.

That way, if they get really pissed off, I'm a mile away. And I've got their shoes.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Saturday football game does not belong on Monday cover unless it was a spectacular upset....maybe photo and tease to local FB inside.

Meanwhile, I often hear from out photo chief that we use pics too small, not enough of them, etc. "My guy was out there for nearly 3 hours and all you used was one 2-column shot."
    Yeah, and my writer was out there just as long and all I used was a 12-inch gamer.
    I'd gladly agree with him if he could provide me with an extra page (or two) to use the photos the way he'd like.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Ace, I understand what you're saying, but it's not like I make these decision to piss people off. I'm trying to put out the best product I can. And yes, I got defensive, no doubt about that. Maybe I shouldn't have. But I loathe when people undermine the things I try to do when they really don't have a clue what they're talking about.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Every newsroom is ridiculously dysfunctional. Writers have issues with the editors, photogs have issues with the deskers, who have issues with everybody. It's amazing a good product is created as often as it is.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Gator, you also have to not take it so personally. Nobody is undermining the things you do, they're stroking their own ego.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Now that's an understatement.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

the great thing about being a photog and SE (when i was) was using as many photos as i wanted.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Complaining is sometimes a sign that people are paying attention, and even though they see things differently, I'll take that and the conversation it spurs on occasion over being ignored completely, which happens too often in newsrooms.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

So which is it, YGBFKM?

I think "every newsroom is dysfunctional" is a gross overstatement. People having different opinions on how things should be done is not dysfuntion. It's reality.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Me saying that was an understatement was directed at the "It's amazing a good product is created as often as it is" part. That's the funny thing about newsrooms ... no matter the situation, or how people may be feeling about one another at one particular moment, everyone comes together to put out the best product possible. Issues are resolved later.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's both, spnited. There are so many competing interest in a newsroom, that if you're not complaining at some point about something, either you're not paying attention, you don't care and/or you suck at your job. The best people I've worked with have usually been the ones I disagreed with most vehemently. The newsroom culture is dysfunctional, just like a large family. I didn't say dysfunction was necessarily a bad thing, just that putting out a paper is not the smoothest process. People unfamiliar with it would likely be amazed its pulled off like it is 365 days a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted