1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unrealistic expectations of the business?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 85bears, Jun 23, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

jg, in his defense, that's not what he was saying. He's saying that he won't turn out bitter because he's family-first.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Damn, why are you so worked up? This short piece of writing was an amazing, superbly-written, unbelievably-descriptive piece of literature. If that's how your sports stories read, you should be on the fast track to the New York Times. I'm dead serious.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

That being the case, I stand corrected. I withdraw the comment, and apologize to House for having made it.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

EE94, of you're 40, you're not just approaching ``too old to hire.'' You're there.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn irish, i love seeing that kind of passion out of someone from news ... damn, i wished i would have worked with you when i was handing out assignments in a newsroom.

but, at the same time, i would have given anything to have had a news person just once call me at home at 4 a.m. and bitch about a source they were having a problem with while attempting to finish a feature or column. but that call -- or trip to a watering hole -- never happened with a news person. somehow, news folks are able to -- somehow -- leave their work 'issues' at the door.

at first, i was going to tell you by no means was i attempting to give you the implication sports folks were superior to news folks, but you know what? we are, only because of the passion we bring when we bring our A games.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Wow ... I'm becoming a belated fan.

One adjustment, and frankly, I want to know if you agree. The newsies DID have that kind of passion ... at 20, at 21, as college journalists. College news reporters could be as intense about the job as anyone I ever saw.

But for some reason, sports people seem to keep whatever it is -- I don't know, it isn't idealism, it's something else -- while those who go the news route seem to become vanilla, perhaps blase about their craft.

7. House

House Guest

I hold no grudges. :)

8. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

I'm a part-timer and a year removed from college, so does that put me in the middle lane? And how dumb are my husband and I to consider buying a home near a paper that I work 30 hours a week?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i believe it's just plain passion for what we do shot. i think 90 percent of us here have exactly that, and even if we disagree with each other 99 percent of the time, we can all respect those 90 percenters for giving a damn all the time.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

barber, a quick heads up ... i can be blunt at times and i will be now: yes and very. don't buy if you are serious about the profession and you're a part timer.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Here's the ugly truth about being a part-timer, BG.

Say a full-time opening comes up in your department. The sports editor has two choices. He can hire somebody new and pick up 40 man-hours a week. Or he can hire you, who's already working 30 hours a week, and he'll only gain 10 man-hours a week.

See the problem?

12. sportsed

sportsed Guest

To which the people above the hiring editor say, Hire the part-timer ... we're only picking up 10 hours of salary.

Draft saved Draft deleted