1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unoriginal

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by smallpapereditor, Jun 7, 2011.

1. smallpapereditor

smallpapereditor New Member

I was wondering if you guys here have a problem with a writer, actually a sports editor, rehashing story after story in the past year, barely rewriting the ledes and content and passing it off to his readers as fresh.
    This paper is relatively close to me and while I don't consider it competition, it is very troubling to constantly see this and be lumped in with this editor and his paper.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This doesn't belong in the writer's workshop. And since this is your first post, I'm guessing this other SE is you.

3. smallpapereditor

If it doesn't belong in writer's workshop, then I am sorry because I didn't know where to post. In my opinion I thought this was a writer's workshop question because it is in regards to writing.
    Is this only for people to post their stories and be critiqued?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes. Something like this is for the main journalism board. I don't know how long you lurked before posting, but calling out another editor with your first post is bush league at best.

5. smallpapereditor

I am not calling out anyone by name. It was a question. If I wanted to call out by name, I could have easily posted related stories as evidence, but I refuse to do that. What this person does is his business.
    I was asking if anyone had a problem with it because I try as much as possible to come up with new angles on the same old stories we all seem to encounter year after year in this industry.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why do you feel lumped in with the unoriginal hack?

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

That's the part that is confusing me as well. If this guy is rehashing the same stuff over and over it's a disservice to the readers, but how does it impact you? It's his call to be unoriginal.
    And yes, this should be in the regular journalism board.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who cares what that person does. You're not him and don't work for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted