1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unofficial SJ.com food drive

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I am coming for your cans. No, not that way, you dirty-minded bastards.

As the mission board director at my church, I'm part of a special United Church of Christ effort called Mission: 1, lasting from Nov. 1-11, which is a special push aimed at helping the hungry. (Someone at UCC headquarters must have hit 111 in the daily three Ohio lotto.) So I'm organizing special drives for my church, which has its own food pantry -- where food goes out as fast as it comes in -- and is part of a homeless shelter network, which is packed every Thursday night. This is the 'burbs, not what is considered a poor area of town.

Here is my challenge to the SportsJournalists.com folks: I would like to challenge all of us, sometime in the next 10 days, to give nonperishable food (or cash, if you're so inclined) to the pantry of your choice. I don't care if it's going to my church's pantry, a UCC pantry, a Christian pantry, a Muslim pantry, a Satan-worshiping pantry, or one operated by your local government. Just that it goes somewhere. All pantries are in the same boat -- struggling to keep up with greater and greater need. I don't care if all you give is one can of beans, or whether you buy out the peanut-butter aisle at Costco. Anything helps.

My only request is that you PM me with what you give. The UCC is keeping an overall, Jerry Lewis-style toteboard, and I'd like to keep the same for SportsJournalists.com. I will not divulge who exactly gave what.

Oh, my other request -- that this thread not devolve into the usual political bullshit about whose fault it is people are poor. The point isn't why people are there. The point is they are there. And even if there are a few people trying to scam the system, I can assure that in our experience, these are people who need help, and for good reason.

Thank you!

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You only cover the Church of Satan when they deliver canned goods!

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm hoping it can contribute some hot sauce.

Draft saved Draft deleted