1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unlisted players on a roster

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 14, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Which reminds me: Never tell your African-American boss he looks like Sugar Ray Leonard. Even if he does look like Sugar Ray Leonard, keep your trap shut.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It.
    Is.
    The.
    Responsibility.
    Of.
    The.
    Photographer.
    To.
    ACCURATELY.
    Identify.
    All.
    Individuals.
    In.
    Photos.

Thank you, that is all, end of discussion.

If you don't like it, go get another job.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I don't know who your photographers are, but I automatically hate them.

IDing people is part of our job. If your photogs aren't doing it, get new ones.

In fact, I'll send a resume. ;)

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You wouldn't want to work here...so save a tree. LOL

6. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

This is why we don't send our photographer to wrestling. It's easier to do it ourselves. We, at least know, who we shot. Then, when he files photos, he just puts the number in expecting we have a roster.

We probably do, but I have better things to do on deadline than rummaging through a folder doing his damn job.

As far as unlisted players being on rosters. I've been burned with that enough times that now I'm in the habit of checking the scorebooks at halftime usually. I've been either hit with unlisted players...especially at playoff time...or team's that halfway through the season suddenly get new jersey and everyone has a different number.

That irritates me even more.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

One of the myriad reasons I heart UT: She's a photog who cares about properly doing her job.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I am also charming and funny. What's not to love?

:D

Honestly, I hate when my colleagues do things like that, because it drags everyone down. I've been fortunate in having had an opportunity to be a full-time reporter and been in charge of laying out two sections each week. With both of those tasks came an understanding of how important it is for everyone in the process to do their job professionally and efficiently.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Once I had a photog chew me out because I didn't get a roster for them. ::)

Another time I had to kick myself in the ass. The paper sent me to cover one of those games that nobody cares about but we had to go so we could cover the team at least once. No joke, the opposing team's quarterback was left off the roster.

Never checked. Good times.

10. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Wait ... there are rosters at your guys' prep games?

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For stuff like soccer, field hockey, basketball, ice hockey, baseball, softball, etc. the photographer will shoot the scorebook/lineup card the team managers wrote the rosters in before the game. Every once in a while we'll have a photographer send in the photos after he's left the game site and say "I can't read the person's handwriting on this, its easier this or that" or call and say "number 25 is in the picture, but there is no 25 in the scorebook" leaving it to us to call the coach at home and ask him/her who was wearing that number.
    For football the photog springs a couple of bucks for the program. But sometimes those rosters aren't accurate either.

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

What asshole school makes a newspaper photog BUY the program...I would never pay to cover a sport...I'M the one that is getting paid!

Draft saved Draft deleted