1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Tennessee football beat - Knoxville News Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, May 6, 2012.

1. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

The talented Austin Ward is taking his talents to ESPN.com to cover Ohio State. So for the third time (UT basketball beat, copy editor) since late March, I need to post a job opening at the News Sentinel. All three have left for good jobs in the business. The good news is we're hiring.
    The position open will cover the No. 1 beat: University of Tennessee football. You will need experience to be considered, I'll be looking for 3-5 years at a daily newspaper or digital company. I'll be looking for someone that has had proven success on a beat, ability to break news, watchdog journalist, use social media, shoot video and ready for a competitive market.
    I'll need a resume, cover letter and a range of clips. Please no phone calls.
    Email or snail mail.
    Phil Kaplan
    Sports Editor - Editorial
    News Sentinel | knoxnews.com
    Products of KNS Media Group
    2332 News Sentinel Drive
    Knoxville, TN 37921
    kaplanp@knoxnews.com

2. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

People seem real eager to leave your shop ... when you say they left for good jobs, it is kind of telling ... people leave for "good jobs" when they are at average or below average places ... your goal should be for people to leave only for excellent, top of the line gigs.

Of course, you have to pay the rate that "good jobs" pay first.

See the revolving door ... going round and round ... and round and round.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I have no "skin" in this game, so to speak, but I can vouch from seeing the paper that Knoxville puts out a damn fine product. When you cover a high profile school like Tennessee, your work will get noticed.

Good luck to everyone who applies. And if Phil ever needs a preps or small colleges editor... ;)

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Sorry, but if you're actually ripping on Phil and the Knoxville paper, you're out of your mind.

5. jeffgreer

jeffgreer New Member

So one writer goes to ESPN.com and the other gets the Alabama beat essentially for the entire state of Alabama and you're calling Knoxville's paper an average or below-average place?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's a little harsh, mate. There are lots of "good jobs" out there and people move around for a variety of reasons. It's not a knock on the Knoxville paper, just probably a coincidence that several things opened at once.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a coincidence to me too.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. To be ripping on Phil and the News Sentinel for what seems to be doing it for sport is, shall we say, telling.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm sure this is a VERY good job at a place that gives priority to the beat. If I were available, and could stomach the cesspool that has become major college athletics, I'd apply.

10. Izzy Gould

Izzy Gould Member

Phil is a highly respected sports editor, and his department routinely produces some of the country's best college coverage.

Andrew Gribble won two APSE awards before moving on to the Alabama beat this spring. And Austin Ward leaving to cover Ohio State for ESPN speaks for itself.

I know a handful of talented reporters, who would love an opportunity to land this job. And there's little doubt Phill will have his choice.

Good luck to all of the applicants.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Lost in all of the turnover as well: The fact Scripps is saying Phil CAN fill these positions. It could have been a case of "oh, just do more with less". Thank God it wasn't.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Can't be that good reporters are ambitious and often have trouble settling down in a business known for its volatility, that kind of an explanation would be CRAZY.

Draft saved Draft deleted