1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Tennessee football beat at Knoxville News Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Gutenberg, you are not alone with the communication aspect of the biz. I know a few journalism school grads who have done papers on the topic of communication within newsrooms.

As for the job, I too have heard it is a done deal, but I will let others name the name.

2. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

We had three great candidates that interviewed in Knoxville for the job.
    Austin Ward, who covers Wyoming for the Casper Star-Tribune, will start work on Aug. 31.

Phil Kaplan
    News Sentinel
    Deputy sports editor

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Because if there's anything Vol fans want to be reminded of, it's getting pwned by the Ragtime Cowboy Joes. ;D

Good luck and congrats, Mr. Ward.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

New thread about the Casper Star-Tribune's Wyoming beat in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

5. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

This job was filled..three guys got to interview.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Thanks for the breaking news, there, Chuck.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Good to see they did a national search...

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Is your real name Deeper_Background?

9. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

I hear you. Not too many people are impressed with their "search."

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

What are you talking about? They hired from the outside and gave a shot to a guy who cleaned up in the small-paper category of the APSEs last year while covering a non-BCS Division I beat. He also happens to be from halfway across the country.

In this day and age, I would say that qualifies as a pretty wide search.

And, no, I'm not Austin, but I do congratulate him on landing a pretty sweet gig.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Methinks the people who aren't impressed with their search are the people who didn't get the job despite thinking they'd be able to waltz right into it.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Only one newspaper treated me with as much respect on an interview and impressed me as much as Knoxville. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm honored to have been part of the process and to have seen a well-run department up close for a few days. Phil and the rest of them get the highest possible marks in my book, right up there with the other place that did everything right. It's good to know there are still papers that care about the details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.