1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Tennessee digital sports writer -- USA TODAY Network-Tennessee

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jun 8, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Digital college sports writer wanted to cover University of Tennessee football.

The selected member will be digital savvy, equally capable of producing a video as he/she is with writing a breaking news story or with writing a quick-turnaround analysis from a game.

The chosen applicant will be a member of a 20-plus USA TODAY Network-Tennessee sports group which was recently honored with 20 Associated Press Sports Awards in 2017.

Responsibilities:

• Maintain a close working relationship with potential news sources, real as well as general reporting.
    • Engage readers through social media by responding to reader comments and pursing other avenues of interaction with audiences.
    • Be on alert at all times for breaking news in order to generate story ideas and plan coverage effectively. Write stories with digital focus, shoot video to tell the story.
    • Develop updates to live stories throughout the day, with several deadlines built into the workday.

Additional Qualifications:

• Have the ability to post breaking news.
    • Must be able operate a camera equipped with still and video capabilities.
    • Must be able to write clearly and succinctly on a variety of topics, which may extend beyond the primary focus of the beat.
    • Basic knowledge of web publishing tools and/or the ability to learn new technology quickly.
    • Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to meet deadline in a fast paced environment.
    • Excellent communication and presentation skills.
    • BS/BA in news/media discipline or equivalent experience.
    • 3-5 years of experience in a related field.

Interested applicants should apply and also send a digital resume to Phil Kaplan at pkaplan@gannett.com, include your top five links that show your expertise in digital storytelling.

We offer competitive pay and benefits including: Comprehensive Health, Dental and Vision coverage, Life Insurance, 401(k) Savings Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Company Holidays, Paid Time Off to Volunteer in the Community, Employee Discount Program and more!

Job opportunity at Gannett | USA TODAY NETWORK - Sports Writer - UT Knoxville

2. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Is this Patrick Brown's spot?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Love, love, LOVE Knoxville.

4. bourq25

bourq25 Member

Big-time job. Good luck to whoever ends up getting it. I shall apply ASAP.

5. bevo

bevo Member

But it's Gannett. So the job could be eliminated by next year.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. bourq25

bourq25 Member

Precisely. Hey bevo, funny stuff. PM me, we shall share the finest meats and cheeses. Out. Bruce B.

7. ss90

ss90 Member

They are considering finalists right now. Shouldn't be too long before they fill this spot.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Please tell me I'm misreading this and there aren't just 20-plus people left in sports combined between Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Clarksville, Murfreesboro and Jackson. That's entirely too depressing to contemplate.

9. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Per their staff listings online, it's 30 total. Granted the three small papers have six combined and their listed total staffs are each in the sup-12 range.

10. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

This has been filled.

11. avtkrmn

avtkrmn Member

i know blake from when he worked for the quincy herald whig and i was with the hannibal courier-post. he is a good guy. should do good there.

Draft saved Draft deleted