1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of South Carolina beat writer -- The State

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Jul 23, 2010.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I know they've laid off some good talent in the past two years, any chance of those guys getting a crack?

2. mb

mb Active Member

So they're down Person *and* Emerson from the Carolina beat? Leaving them with ... nobody? Or am I mistaken?

3. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

The last few guys to get let go have all "moved on." Paul Strelow was working at the Anderson Independent Mail for a time, now he's going on to a start-up site covering Clemson. Plus he has no desire to move from the upstate from what I'm told with his wife and family there. Steve Wiseman has been looking to get out of the area/business for a while as his wife and kid have been in NC for more than a year now. So when they let him go, it was his chance to move and be with them. I don't think Bob Gillespe or Bob Spear want to come out of retirement for this gig.

Joe is actually stepping into Seth's old role as the basketball guy/enterprise writer from what I've been told. He wants a little more time with the kids and while he'll still have a lot of work to do he's ready to something different. So The State is actually filling the lead Carolina writer role at the paper.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Paul had gone to Anderson. Is he creating a start-up or just working for one?

5. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

He's joining in on a start-up. 247sports.com's Clemson athletics/recruiting site.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Joe and I shared a desk when he covered tech in macon. Hell of a hell of a guy. Quite possibly the nicest guy I've ever met in my life. Congrats on his move up.

Joe is a machine no doubt.

7. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Anybody heard from Rick on this? I contacted him as the ad said, but haven't heard back from him and that was several days ago.

8. Cheng Sio

Cheng Sio New Member

I e-mailed him today and asked if he was still accepting applications. He was and I sent mine.

9. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

The State hired Josh Kendall to cover football and Josh Hoke to cover recruiting. Joe Person to The Charlotte Observer to cover the Panthers.

http://www.thestate.com/2010/08/25/1432093/new-usc-beat-reporters-hired.html

Draft saved Draft deleted