1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of South Carolina beat writer -- The State

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Jul 23, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The State in Columbia, S.C. is seeking a football beat reporter to join our three-person team covering University of South Carolina sports.

We consider coverage of coach Steve Spurrier’s Gamecocks and SEC football a year-round beat. Contributions to our web site devoted exclusively to the Gamecocks and to our four-times a year magazine on Gamecocks sports are also a part of the job.

You’ll have big shoes to fill. Joe Person, our outstanding USC football beat writer for the past eight years, will become our lead enterprise writer and also cover USC men’s hoops.

We take Gamecocks sports seriously. We had a four-person team in Omaha for the College World Series and just finished a book on the USC baseball team’s first national championship.

We’re looking for a person with demonstrated excellence in reporting and writing.

For more information contact Executive Sports Editor Rick Millians at rmillians@thestate.com

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Can't say it enough: Joe Person has done one hell of a job covering the Chickens for some time. The "Big Shoes" lines is spot on. Dude has been a machine on that beat.
    Glad to see he's not leaving South Carolina, though. One hell of a good guy.
    Lot of other really good ones in this department, too -- Craig McHugh, Rick, etc. Staff's not as big as it was even a couple years ago, but it's still the best one in SC for a reason.
    Best of luck, because I'm setting the over/under for this job at 218 resumes.

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Feel free to PM me for details about the paper.

4. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I'm a charter member of the Joe Person fan club. As good a dude as you'd ever want to meet.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great paper. One of the best college town papers in the country.

I fell in love with the section while judging at APSE almost a decade ago. I can't claim to have seen it a lot recently, but it was an amazing section.

6. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

The State has a pretty strong sports section, but has been hurt because of the McClatchey consolidations. It's coverage of USC is top-notch, gone down a little with Clemson, and preps is nowhere near where it needs to be, but it's more a lack of bodies than effort.
    All of that being said, The State still has the best sports section in SC and would be considered a destination job for lots of sportswriters around.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would be curious how many papers right now are as good as they were five years ago.

I think the only ones that might qualify are the ones in cities that used to have two good papers in town and one folded (Denver, Seattle).

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good point, Mizzou. I'll say it again... what happened to the Rocky stunk to high heaven, but it made the Post wake up. It's a much better paper now than it was when it competed with the RMN (and the Post was a decent paper back then).

9. Even in the current climate, the State put out a hell of a Sunday section when I visited town last November. Couldn't believe the thoroughness of the sports coverage -- something like a 24 page section.

10. I'm member No. 2 of the Joe Person Fan Club. When I saw the title of this thread I gave out an audible, "WHAT THE FUCK??????" But as MU said, glad to see he's moving up and not out.

11. FearThePotato

FearThePotato New Member

Was wondering if anyone knew what needed to be sent in for this job? Resume, clips, cover letter?

12. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Rick told me resume and 4-5 clips.

Draft saved Draft deleted