1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Phoenix to be put on probation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They should never have rejected that invitation to join the Big East.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Well, if the Fighting Snails get in, the University of Phoenix will probably get in too.

3. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

So, a place that gives you a degree as long as you pay your bills is under investigation? Shocking.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well that's all of them. At the University of Maryland, if you're not up on all your parking tickets (and comparing the parking enforcement operations to the Gestapo is NOT an overstatement) then you won't get your paper, whether you squeaked by with a 2.1 or graduate Summa Cum Laude.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

There are so many levels of "scam" in higher education. Start with the for-profit universities, who are happy to take the government-guaranteed largesse handed to them by financial institutions in return for, well, not much. Then filter down to the state schools, who pack 250-seat lecture halls full to listen to somebody speak in Miss Othmar voice for an hour and call that "education." Then go to the small expensive private schools, who have adjuncts teaching classes for barely more than minimum wage while charging the cost of an Infiniti in tuition per student every year.

The fix for this is simple: Federal student aid should be limited to $2,000 per student per year. That'd put the for-profits completely out of business and make most other schools seriously re-think their pricing structure.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nah, they're a bubble team, at best. They had that really bad non-conference loss to the Sam Houston Institute of Technology.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

All that does is drive students and their parents further into debt through more loans. Schools aren't going to get cheaper.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Washington Post should really dig into this subject.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Question, especially for anyone in a hiring position ... how is the University of Phoenix viewed? I am not, nor do I know that I ever would be in a hiring position, but I would have to think that if I got in a stack of resumes ranging from Ivy League to State University to Local Small College to Phoenix, the Phoenix diploma would automatically go on the bottom of the stack.

Is that fair? This is truly an inquisitive question because I just don't know. Am I being a snob? I did get my bachelors from a state university and only have a couple of more classes before I have my masters from a small liberal arts college. To hiring people is a degree from the University of Phoenix only slightly better than an online degree from the University of St. Barts?

How is Capella University view? The same as Phoenix?

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is precisely why you can't trust politicians who claim the future of education is entirely online. They spout this nonsense in part because they dislike education in general. They want a stupid electorate, and gutting state spending to higher ed looks more feasible if you can claim that classes are taught just as well by computer as in person.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We would have to see it in action, but my guess is you would be completely wrong on this. Student loans are currently in the same kind of euphoric bubble that mortgages once were, and we saw how that ended. And sure enough the default rates on student loans are rising.

The reason schools are charging so much more is, as with so many things price-related, Because They Can. It has been drilled into kids and parents that college is the only way, whatever the cost. If that easy credit is cut off, there will be a lot fewer people going to college, and the schools are not going to be in position to be so demanding of money.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One reason credit is easy: student loans cannot be included in a bankruptcy filing.

Draft saved Draft deleted