1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Minnesota -- how would you handle?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but what's immediately? If the guy sends you one text that shows more than professional interest do you run to HR? In the example where he climbs in the cab with her, do you chalk that up to him drinking and maybe you wondering if you may have led him on?

I would say it would be hard as a reporter to decide when it was time to let others know. I think she did a good job and came forward at an appropriate time.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That one night, with the drinks, the groping, the following into the cab, and the ensuing texts, is more than enough to elevate the situation to HR and get the ball rolling on harassment charges.

Drunk or not.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thanks. I read it this morning and must have not noticed that part.

4. Dick Whitman

I'm really surprised at the hostility my question generated.

I was curious.

5. Dick Whitman

When you say "harassment charges," is "harassment" really a criminal offense? She doesn't work for him, obviously.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Want to echo this.

Not only did the story do a fantastic job specifically detailing the creepiness the AD exhibited toward a reporter covering the team, it also:

1. Let you into Rayno's mind on what she was thinking. From the beginning, "Hey, this is how we build sources" to the end "what is the fallout to my career going to be if I come forward?"

2. Also let you know what a major creep the AD is and should destroy the impression that this his resignation letter was intended to create -- this was a case of a one or two inappropriate texts fueled by booze.

3. I especially like the detail of how he really started chasing her when she said she and her boyfried had split and how his comments and texts overtly tried to use the leverage he had as AD with her. Imagine if she were his employee?

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It's probably more assault, which is a police matter.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I meant. Or criminal stalking, maybe.

And reporting it to the university would ostensibly get it to look at his in-house harassment record.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For me personally, yes.

I try to keep professional distance with most of the people I work with either directly or otherwise.

10. Dick Whitman

The cab incident certainly seemed damned near assault.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but if you are a reporter, you would be trying pretty hard to make it more than a professional relationship, if possible. That's why you would want to go out drinking with coaches, ADs, SIDs if you had the chance.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This is truly a sticky wicket. She doesn't work for the jerk, but he holds power over her in that she needs cooperation from him and his department in order to do her job and satisfy her bosses. So, is it harassment in the workplace? It's as close as you could get while still saying no. She can complain to her bosses, but even if they have her back and do everything they can do on her behalf, she can't remain on the beat as long as he's there. And it's not like she can get moved to the other big school in the state, as there is none.

After thinking about it, she has played this beautifully. She can tell her story, which alone is really just some gray area (professionally and legally) advances from a guy she works with, but not for. Instead, she gave him enough rope to hang himself before making her move. Now he's gone, she keeps her job and her story shows there is a pattern to his behavior that wasn't just one stupid, drunken night. If she stays silent, he likely would've ended up at a mid level school like Marshall, or maybe even a Radford. Which, while not the Big Ten is still a pretty sweet gig. Now, I can't see him ever working for a university again.

Draft saved Draft deleted