1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Minnesota -- how would you handle?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Aug 9, 2015.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What a joke up there.

I don't know Amelia but I could see where she was coming from in her decision. But still ...

How would you handle this as a reporter? As her boss? As upper management? As ... shudder ... HR?

And while this piece is a "It's not about us" situation, in this case it is. And yet it seems a bit of exploitation to have it come out after this slapd*** is sent packing.

Star Tribune's Rayno adds her own story to Teague scandal - StarTribune.com

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think Amelia handled it extremely well. Informed her bosses, kept good documentation of what happened, tried to resolve it without it keeping her from doing her job. I admire her coming forward now -- may encourage others in similar positions to do the same, both at Minnesota and elsewhere. So disappointed this is something female reporters still have to deal with, but it clearly is.

MileHigh and Songbird like this.
  3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

While the entire situation is a shame, it's especially bad that she thought she'd have her access cut off if she approached Minnesota about claims of sexual harassment.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As the reporter, contact HR immediately. As her boss, get her off that beat pronto, not because she did anything wrong, but to keep her away from a situation that would make her uncomfortable while I report the harassment to my superiors.

As upper management, I'd report it up his chain of command as soon as I heard of it.

As HR, I'd take all the documentation necessary and take whatever actions I need to.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I would've reassigned her immediately and notified the university. There's no reason she couldn't resume her desired career path after it all shook out.

And, her rationale of "self preservation" doesn't make much sense to me - protecting her career, reputation and well-being against criminal behavior should be her boss's responsibility as well.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow, what a well-handled story by Rayno; she deserves nothing but applause from the industry.

I Should Coco, Ace and MileHigh like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What was her beat? Basketball? Football? The athletic department? I assume that the paper separates the basketball and football beats, but perhaps not.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What difference does it make?

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Like the piece a lot, and applaud her for coming forward.

Rayno's account nixes the "Norwood Teague was overserved alcohol and he has a drinking problem" storyline. He pursued some sort of creepfest with her for some time, and unless he was in a state of constant drunkenness, with an overserving bartender at the ready, the booze enhanced his harassment, but didn't produce it.

Ace likes this.
  10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It sounds like she was genuinely worried that she wouldn't get support from her superiors. If I were her boss and that was how she felt, it would mean I failed her as my employee.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree with the people saying she handled it as well as anyone could. His behavior puts her in a tough spot. A woman in a male-dominated endeavor. She ends up having to deal with a major creep; being made really uncomfortable. If she goes to his bosses, yeah, he will stop (unless he reports to James Dolan, in which case the two of them will giggle and ratchet up the harassment).

But if she does that, she can count on the whispers becoming about her rather than the creep who was harassing her; people asking, if she is too sensitive? Making a big deal out of nothing? etc.

I can't say how I'd deal with that--and thankfully I will never have to deal with it. But my best guess is I would try to be firm and set a limit as best I could (which is what she did), avoid him except when necessary (which she did), and not blow it up, because of it might effect my career which I have worked so hard to build (which she did).

It sucks that she had to deal with it. I don't think she should regret not blowing it up -- the way she wrote. She handled it as best as she could at the time. If it was me, I'd probably only have forced the issue if he started retaliating against me for rebuffing him -- and making it impossible to do my job. It just sucks that she was put in a position where she had to make that kind of decision.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Third paragraph of the article.

Draft saved Draft deleted