1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Kentucky beat, Louisville, KY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by franticscribe, May 16, 2006.

1. You can slam Gannett all you want (and I do), but my thought it is that they are just out front (now) on a lot of cost-cutting measures that you are going to see more chains adopt. And that is disgusting.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Louisville is also one of the bigger Gannet papers...so you're kind of insulated from all the bad corporate ideas and all the cost-cutting. That shit gets worse as you go down the totem pole.
    That's a big boy/girl job there. Rusty Hampton and Pat Forde are some mighty tough cats to follow. You do well on that beat, then you can name your next job and name the price.

3. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Here at Podunk Press, (5 months ago) while owned by Gannett, we flew the candidates in. Even gave em a place to stay AND fed em. The postion was 3rd man on the totem pole. I think it depends upon the paper, not necessarily ownership.
    Under the current regime, the health ins. is much crappier than what we had with Gannet.

4. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

For the record, Jerry Tipton's wife has a high-ranking job at the Lexington paper and they have school-age kids. Maybe he decided, God forbid, that he'd rather live the family life in a nice town such as Lexington rather than jump into the rat race in some frozen hell-hole big city in the Northeast.

And also for the record, Jerry has been on the UK beat for the Herald-Leader since 1982. Obviously he's content with it.

5. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

That's a lot of people....is burnout a byproduct of this beat?

6. Yankee

Yankee Member

I'm sure Mr. Tipton's Pulitzer does all his talking for him. How many of you have ever met someone that even knows what a Pulitzer is, let alone be responsible for winning one?

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Ahem, one of our esteemed SportsJournalists.com posters (a buddy I know in real life) has a shiny new one.

Carry on.

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

There's one regular here and a newbie who both got one last month. And if I had stuck around for another year and a half, I would have gotten one too.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

"esteemed SportsJournalists.com poster" is an oxymoron.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I know Tipton is in the USBWA Hall Of Fame, and deservedly so, but are you guys sure about the Pulitzer?

11. abesimpson22

abesimpson22 Guest

In 1986 Jeffrey Marx and Michael York won the investigative reporting category for their story about payoffs to Kentucky basketball recruits, most notably Chris Mills.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted